Quote Originally Posted by myoldyourgold View Post
That is one sweet setup. Thank you for the great pictures. I tend to do better with pictures.
Thank you! I am taking pics with my DroidX and it sucks a big time. When I have all my ideas implemented will record a video and post it on YouTube.

LOL I am impressed to see that you have springs on the the build. I went to that to prevent loosing too. I have found that adding a stiffener around the edge where the bolts also makes a much tighter build and aids in the loosing problem. I have seen some great stiffeners made out of stainless but mine are just mild steal and powder coated.
Yes, after I figured out the right tension compression springs and installed them - no leaks at all.

Another thing about gasket material I use, it is not neoprene, but EPDM 1/16" 55-65 durometer, 3/4" cut width on the edges. The EPDM is the best for KOH!
I but it very cheap 3" x 25" roll for $90 shipped from Rubber Cal. Great guys!

In my experience I have gotten much better numbers by not using a pump and separating the units into smaller units. With such a large number of plates cooling needs more flow and that is why you need a pump. The down side of that is that this creates a steady flow of electrolyte out the output ports and increases current leakage. When the flow is broken up with gas which has a high resistance and less liquid it tends to slow this down and current goes where it should because it is easier.
I do completely get your point and expect it for sure.
My plan is to cheat the system! I will install bypass ball valve and along with circulative cooling of the electrolyte will be able to set up needed flow of the fluid through the cell. It is big, needs cooling and it lacks a lot of fluid when working hard. With the pump installed I want to boost my production for about 30-40%. I see that as real possibility. Will update on the success and will post pictures of the setup.

The balance is critical and so port size and location come into play in a big way. If you are not insulating your ports with Weldon 16, you need to study up on that. You will see measurable differences.
My ports all use 3/8" Bard to 3/8" NPT fittings on the cell.
I have three output ports, two input ports. Output ports go into transition to 5/8" PEX. So I have a free flow of gas there.

I plan to replace all yellow metal fittings with 316L ones in order to eliminate any source of corrosion inside the system. That will be another $100-150 to add up to the cost.

I will check on your Weldon 16 for sure.

Are your plates media blasted? If not this will also give you another boost.
Duel connections are good.
Yes and no. I have 44 plates blasted, others polished. Want to see how they look after conditioning.

As to the connections, I am planning to apply a lot of electrical conductive to the terminals and on top of them put shrink tubing.

One more question, how long have you run the reactor and what kind of results are you getting? Keep it up. Great job.
I have ran it for about 3 weeks, outputting around 4 LPM. Engine works way more smoother but no visible results on fuel economy yet.

Amp draw loads the alternator a bit and I assume that the generated gas recoups the waisted HP to run extra amps.

With my 12L engine I am shooting to produce at least 12LPM and then I will watch the results.

Another thing that troubles me is my POWER MOSFET. With 100% duty @ 70AMP it is OK, but when I lower it down it starts heating like crazy. My idea is to make dual N-channel bridge where electronically I will swap the mosfets with lower duty in order to lower the heat build up on a single mosfet.

Another idea is to run single mosfet at 100% duty, but when I need to lover the duty, I will be able to reverse polarity on the cell with two mosfets . Do you get my idea? It will look like this:

100% Duty - 100% duty on 1st mosfet (+- to the cell),
80% Duty - 40% duty on 1st mosfet (+- to the cell), other 40% duty on 2nd mosfet (-+ to the cell)
and so on.

Also, I will be able to switch mosfets lets say every hour changing polarity of the electrodes and prolong my cell life. Will do the tests and see what is worth of.

Attached is my design of gaskets with the plates. Will redesign them a bit for my next cell in the future.