Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KOH VS. Baking Soda, etc.

truckman1966 Guest
    I just tested my unit on NaOH. 1/2 tsp. for 1 Gal water. seems just as productive as the baking soda. and it cleaned even more brown crap off of the plates.

try starting with 25% sodium hydroxide solution. It gets hot, so be careful. Never add water to powdered lye- mix in a little lye to the water- measure w/ ohmeter, lower resistance is better. good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ridelong View Post
    I tested baking soda, sodiun hydroxide. and potassium hydroxide.

Potassium hydroxide is by far the best. The reason is rust or crud generation.
    Baking soda is worst, changing electrolyte every 2 days. Sodium hydroxide is better, changing electrolyte about every 5 days. Potassium hydroxide, has barely any generation of crud. It has been weeks and I only have to add distilled water.
    Now are you talking about Potassium Hydroxide Flakes or Potassium Hydroxide Lab Grade?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac
    21 Plate 3" X 7" KOH Dry Cell

Quote Originally Posted by WFCollective View Post
    try starting with 25% sodium hydroxide solution. It gets hot, so be careful. Never add water to powdered lye- mix in a little lye to the water- measure w/ ohmeter, lower resistance is better. good luck!
    I am going to counter this claim (to a point)...

Yes the higher concentration produces more HHO than a lower concentration. However unless you live in a freezing cold climate then there is no reason to go this high. The amount you gain in production is outweighed by the danger of ever spilling it on you.

Also, the 25% by weight only applies to those who have PWM's. If you are just going brute force then your concentration is only going to be, at most 4-5 Tbls. per gallon of water. If you are using a PWM then you don't need more than 10-12 Tbls per gallon, anything more is just a waste of resources.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

HHOCHL Guest

Unhappy corrosion with KOH and Tabwater

Hi folks

Cool discussions!

For about half a year I'm experimenting with KOH in wet and now in dry cell.
    Both with 316L plates, if this means quality.

Unfortunately after some 200 miles one third of the wet cell is filled up with a corrosion like pudding. Really ugly.
    Normally I use a potassium alkaline 50% solution and mix it up in relation 1:2000 with distilled water. Production rate is good, but very fast corrosion occurs.

Now with the dry cell I'm trying tabwater. Even so corrosion appears after some 20 miles at the bottom of the cell. See the pic. http://www.hhoforums.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

Did somebody make the same experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by oscarT View Post
    I have a query

I have a 3500cc, i 've installed a unit using the KOH but it is not working. in the begining i start with 2-1/2 teaspoons of koh in 1700ml and the Amp reading were 0.06Amp therefore I put 20 teaspoons and the reading is still the same. the relay show a reading of +20Amp so

Can someone tell me if the 20 teaspoons are not enought for the 1700ml. i am looking for atleast 12Amp in my unit

Thank you
    It sounds like you could have some sort of electrical issue as well.

What kind of cell do you have?

PiTRiFF Guest
    What would be the appropriate amount to add to a 1qt cell?