Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thermodynamics

I'm just a guy with opinions no expertise in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by CNM DESIGN View Post

Would a quartz tube work the best? ( boundary layer )

As for a vortex inducer. What do you think would work the best for this application?

Please comment or use PM.

Which flame do you think is hotter?

The flame from a propane hot water heater or the flame from his system?

This i can answer, The flame in the Joe pipe Looks Much hotter than ANY hot water heater Ive even seen. If he could have metered the flow of propane he is using that would be helpful in knowing if something unusual is happening

Which system do you think uses the least amount of propane?

I have no idea, there is not enough info to go on. (that's exactly the point of my frustration with his videos) Hasn't anyone with a flow meter ever checked this? If you have A Joe pipe I can lend you a flow meter so you can check and compare?

He states in one vid that the water in the propane is cracked into HHO and is all so burned. If this is true, I would think the flame would burn much hotter than just propane by itself. This in turn would allow you to use even less propane or none.

Not sure how water moisture in the propane tank would mix with Propane Gases. Like i said He or someone with a Joe pipe should just inject some steam into the mix and measure the results

What do you think?
    When you're one step ahead of the crowd you're a genius.
    When you're two steps ahead, you're a crackpot."

Just saw a vid. He stated that the pipe at that time was only using 3-5oz of propane an hour.

And this is without adding in some HHO.

If that is the case, based on running 12 hrs out of 24 it would only take 120lbs a month to heat a home and hot water.
    (I think my math is correct)

Does anyone know how much propane is a Lb? I think around 1$

How many hours out of 24 does your home heating run on avg? If it's less than 12, it could run as little as $600 for 6 months.

1 min into the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nF3c...eature=related

Any comments?

If adding HHO is of interest to this process. You may want to try to use the heat of the pipe to disassociate steam. It appears to be hot enough to do that . Make a heat exchanger somewhere on the pipe and pull steam though it, the disassociated HHO and residual steam then goes into the reactor pipe. Just an idea, I'm not sure if it will give you a gain.

Yes, that’s his plan all along. He has a place in the pipe just for that.

If you watch, on one vid he has a piece of square pipe welded over the hot part of the pipe where he puts in wood pellets. The pellets gasifie and goes into the pipe to be burned in stead of the propane.

Based on wood moisture content of 15% wet basis
    Woods gross heat energy content: 6,600 BTU per lb

After gasification 1lb wood yields 35 cubic feet of gas which has a net heat energy content of 4,725 BTU or 4,900 BTU heat from burning the gas direct

I’m sure wood gas burned in the pipe is much hotter than it would be burned in a Bunsen burner.

umm... after watching those guys talk about how a steel pipe can be hot on one end and cold on another for 10 min. I doubt anything good will come of this.
    I=V/R so R=V/I and V=I*R
    P=V*I
    (I=Amps, V=volts, P= power in watts, R=resistance in ohms)

Nothing personal, but who are you? (in a nice way, not wanting to get into a p*ssing contest)

I will be first to admit, I know nothing about anything. But I do know this is science 101, High School.

Efficiency
    Vortex tubes have lower efficiency than traditional air conditioning equipment. They are commonly used for inexpensive spot cooling, when compressed air is available. Commercial models are designed for industrial applications to produce a temperature drop of about
    45 °C (80 °F). With no moving parts, no electricity, and no Freon, a vortex tube can produce refrigeration up to 6000 BTU using only filtered compressed air at 100 PSI. A control valve in the hot air exhaust adjusts temperatures, flows and refrigeration over a wide range.

Proposed applications
    Dave Williams, of dissigno, has proposed using vortex tubes to make ice in third-world countries. Although the technique is inefficient, Williams expressed hope that vortex tubes could yield helpful results in areas where using electricity to create ice is not an option.
    There are industrial applications that result in unused pressurized gases. Using vortex tube energy separation may be a method to recover waste pressure energy from high and low pressure sources.

In this case the compressed gas is propane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_tube
    http://www.linux-host.org/energy/svortex.htm

I've designed and build many burners of similar size (venturi and forced air) for aluminum casting, glass blowing, and forging. For about 6 bucks you can make one of these burners which will put out a flame that looks about the same (and doesn't use electricity).
    As far as a pipe heating up; (unless it's copper or silver) one end can be melty hot wile the other is stone cold.
    I don't see what he is trying to do with the cooling effect, if he is getting one.
    I first assumed he was using a low pressure propane system, as he is using aquarium hoses for his fuel line, but that wouldn't give much force to form a vortex.
    The temp propane burns at is right around the numbers he is stating. This number can be increased if the air to be combusted is of a higher temp, but propane has about 91,500 BTU's per gal, this can not be changed. With this burner some of those BTU's come out the side of the pipe, and some out of the end. I'm not getting why that's a good thing, it's something I try to avoid.
    Maybe I misted it but how is he coming up with his fuel consumption numbers? To really know he would have to know the pressure accurately, and know the orifice size and have a chart (or do some timely calculations). But it seems like he just has a pin valve to control it, and no measuring instruments after that.

As far as wood fuel goes; well think about what would happen... heat it up with propane until you get enough wood gas pressure to run it, as it get's hotter you make gas even faster which increasing the pressure, which increases the temp, which increases the pressure, boom!
    Unless the wood gas if for use outside of this burner, it would be rather dangerous.

This is a fine burner, but don't see this as anything better than a scaled up blowtorch inside a pipe. I suppose some energy could be used from the pressure of the propane (about 600psi in a full tank) but you would need to run it at a relatively high pressure, which requires fittings that guy is not using. The essay way to use this pressure energy is with a venturi, so you don't have to power a fan.
    again, I may have missed something, but where is the cold gas going? If it's just mixing with the hot, then there is not benefit to the vortex.
    I=V/R so R=V/I and V=I*R
    P=V*I
    (I=Amps, V=volts, P= power in watts, R=resistance in ohms)

CMC, FWIW
    You refer to the Joe tube as a vortex tube. There is something called Vortex mathematics or "Rodin" mathematics", you may want to check it out. I don't know if it applies to this Joe pipe subject with the flame and heat, but it might. There are some guys doing other types energy experiments with it, that are waaaay out of the norm. http://www.rense.com/RodinAerodynamics.htm

That math is way to outside the box for me. It's all I can do to balance a check book.

What do you think about my post on the $ factor? ( Why HHO Cannot Work #54 )

Do you find it true, more or less?

Quote Originally Posted by CNM DESIGN View Post
    That math is way to outside the box for me. It's all I can do to balance a check book.

What do you think about my post on the $ factor? ( Why HHO Cannot Work #54 )

Do you find it true, more or less?
    The basics of Rodin math are fascinating to me, but most of the dimensional stuff is over my head, and even scary. To see what some are doing with the 'Rodin Coil' is literally unbelievable for conventional thinking.

Edit, Found this video show How the Rodin Starship coil geting OU over 300% . I've seen them do better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc-NY...eature=channel

Your post 54 looks reasonable.