Thread: Novice HHO Questions

Novice HHO Questions

I bought a 1990 Chevy Suburban (3/4 ton 2wd with a 454) awhile back and one of my goals with it was to max out the MPG's.

Phase 1 was to remove the 4.10 rear end and put a 3.42 gear set in. Stock, I was getting ~7mpg in town and ~10 on the highway. I don't have any hard numbers for after the gear swap, but I'm guessing it is going to be close to a 15% to 20% increase in MPG with the new gears.

Phase 2 is to put an HHO booster under the hood and see what it can do. I've been doing a lot of research lately and I've found a lot of great info, but I've still got a couple questions.

1. Is there any way to calculate the HHO needed for optimum MPG, or is it mostly trial and error?
    2. I know a lot of people use regular stainless plates in their boosters. One method I came across recommended using stainless mesh instead as it will help the HHO bubbles form easier. Does anyone have experience with using mesh instead of plates? Any ideas what size holes are optimum? I was planning on using 1/8".
    3. In my neck of the woods, it can get below freezing on occasion. I'm not too worried about the booster freezing with the KOH in the water, but what about the bubbliers ? I could add some salt to the bubbliers to lower the freezing temp I suppose.
    4. Speaking of the bubbliers , it can get pretty hot hanging out next to the intake, on top of the valve cover of a 454 doing 60+ mph. Has anyone had a problem with their bubblier water evaporating?

I think that is all for now. I'll be back if I come up with more questions.

Quote Originally Posted by twiget View Post
    I bought a 1990 Chevy Suburban (3/4 ton 2wd with a 454) awhile back and one of my goals with it was to max out the MPG's.

Phase 1 was to remove the 4.10 rear end and put a 3.42 gear set in. Stock, I was getting ~7mpg in town and ~10 on the highway. I don't have any hard numbers for after the gear swap, but I'm guessing it is going to be close to a 15% to 20% increase in MPG with the new gears.

Phase 2 is to put an HHO booster under the hood and see what it can do. I've been doing a lot of research lately and I've found a lot of great info, but I've still got a couple questions.

1. Is there any way to calculate the HHO needed for optimum MPG, or is it mostly trial and error?
    2. I know a lot of people use regular stainless plates in their boosters. One method I came across recommended using stainless mesh instead as it will help the HHO bubbles form easier. Does anyone have experience with using mesh instead of plates? Any ideas what size holes are optimum? I was planning on using 1/8".
    3. In my neck of the woods, it can get below freezing on occasion. I'm not too worried about the booster freezing with the KOH in the water, but what about the bubbliers ? I could add some salt to the bubbliers to lower the freezing temp I suppose.
    4. Speaking of the bubbliers , it can get pretty hot hanging out next to the intake, on top of the valve cover of a 454 doing 60+ mph. Has anyone had a problem with their bubblier water evaporating?

I think that is all for now. I'll be back if I come up with more questions.
    Phase 1: I highly Doubt you'll see 15-20% Gains. I could be wrong..
    Phase 2: Q1: The General Rule of Thumb. .5L HHO to 1L Motor Size. your 7.4L motor = APPROX 3.7LPM HHO Generator. But yes, it's MOSTLY Trial and Error Testing.
    Q2: I can't Answer this one with certainty, but It's been discussed here before. Use the Search engine. It seems that it's not worth your while. Current Leakage, and what not, Stay with SS Plates...
    Q3: I havent tried it YET, but, Windshield washer Fluid, I hear, will work in bubblers just fine...
    Q4: This is the one that Really gets me...
    WHY would you have your bubblers on top of your Valve Covers?????? I don't care how HOT it gets on top of a Valve Cover, That has NOTHING to do with the Temp in FRONT of your Radiator, which, is where I'd install EVERYTHING, Reactor, Reservoir, and ANY BUBBLERS, Space permitting of course (but a Suburban, You've GOT the space)....
    96 E-250 4.9L, 100,000 Miles.
    12.5 MPG Befor HHO
    16.5 (Best) after HHO.
    Modified Smack Gen I Cell.

85 BMW 524TD
    26-32MPH
    HHO Coming soon

A TOOL Is only as GOOD as it's operator. If the Operator DON'T KNOW How to work it, The TOOL WON'T WORK