Thread: brass hose barbs

brass hose barbs

Would this kind of hose barb be ok? I'm using Sodium bicarbonate for my electrolyte.
    I mean would there be any chemical reaction, corrosion...

Brass will oxidize just sitting in the open, under normal room temp conditions. I don't think a brass fitting would last very long before it corrodes in an HHO generator. I'd recommend a stainless or plastic fitting.

Brass is ok for testing short term, but it will discolor. If your planning on building a system to last, use a nylon fitting.

tnx guys

Brass Fittings

Hi all, my first post here

I'm wondering about the brass fittings, I have some on my reservoir. I have had what seems like an unusual amount of 'Brown Sludge' (possibly Hexavailent Chromium) and am wondering if the brass fittings could be contributing to this? It is only on a test setup in the shop...

Thanks

Obix,
    Welcome to the forum. The brown sludge is most likely iron leaching from the S/S plates. Before we can really help, you'll need to post all of the info about your system (plate material, stack configuration, electrolyte concentration, etc.).
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

Here are couple reasons not to use brass fittings.

1. Brass will get eaten up by the alkaline electrolyte polluting it over time but will not show as rust muck.

2. When HHO travels through metal and/or it cools it tends to loose its potency.... a change of state. The exact science behind this is debatable but there is enough evidence to support it. This is one reason to inject the HHO as close to the throttle body or just after when possible but this requires HHO that as been thoroughly scrubbed for any alkaline. Most intakes before the throttle body are plastic now so the metal problem is not such a big issue but the shorter time/distance it has to cool helps. Ideally it would be best to inject it directly into the cylinder which is not possible. One should not inject it into the manifold where vacuum pressure is highest at idle low at cruising.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .