Thread: 02 Extender

hubut864@bellsouth.net Guest

02 Extender

Will an 02 extender work with the Toyota Wide Range Air Fuel Sensor. It looks just like a typical 02 sensor but works different.

jimbo40 Guest
    Works with an 2000 tundra 4 wire o2 sensor

hubut864@bellsouth.net Guest
    Thanks for the info

jimbo40 you say works w/'00 toyota 4 wire wideband . what engine do you have the 3.4L ? which extender are you using and what results are you getting? what cell design ? I have an '00 toy pre-runner w/3.4L w/4 wire wideband they actually call it an AFR but mines located pre-cat in the manifold like an oxy sensor ,yours? what electronics are you running ?
    thanx

jimbo40 Guest
    Magdrive 11a brick generator.
    2000 tundra 4.7 , 18mm pre cat o2 sensors with extenders I made from anti fouling spark plug adapters. No electronics

Scanguage 2 shows 15.8 mpg up 13.2 mpg
    Tank of fuel 317 miles now 400 miles per tank
    Still have very good power.

F150 Guest
    Oxy extenders are my next move.

But first, Anybody try simply disconecting the plug-in to the sensors? You would get a check engine light but.....?

Chris65 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by F150 View Post

But first, Anybody try simply disconecting the plug-in to the sensors? You would get a check engine light but.....?
    Most vehicles, if they lose the O2 sensor signal, will go in to what is called "limp home" mode. This is not going to help you out. By design, the ECM will send an extra rich air/fuel mixture through the engine until the problem is fixed.

redneckgearhead34 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by F150 View Post

I did. I lost about 3 mpg, my engine felt sluggish and it ran rough.

I have a 94 nissan pickup 2.4L I-4 2wd

BTW this was with no HHO. I was thinking about trying this with HHO. In theory I believe it should work to a certain extend because you will be using less pedal but you will need to replace more gas due to the fact that the engine runs richer.

[QUOTE=
    BTW this was with no HHO. I was thinking about trying this with HHO. In theory I believe it should work to a certain extend because you will be using less pedal but you will need to replace more gas due to the fact that the engine runs richer.[/QUOTE]

Huh???

Hi all !

a toyota uses a 04-wire wideband oxygen sensor unlike other manufacturers who uses a 5 or six wire wideband sensor, otherwise its always a narrow band. The wideband is extremely sensitive because the ECU sends voltage to it and the o2 sensor sends it back, the ECU detects the difference and then adjusts the fuel ratio. The only professional approach to adjust the Milliamps on the wide-band sensor is by installing a Dual Electronic Fuel injection enhancer. It can control upto 04 sensors both narrow-band and wide-band.
    There is a general consensus that the downstream sensor has no role in adjusting the air fuel ratio but though my experience i have found out that the downstream sensor is also used to double check the upstream sensor and the catalyst efficiency as well. The DEFIE will not let the sensors send the lean mixture signal to the ECU and will help in not enabling the injectors to send more fuel. The o2 extenders works best with a narrow band oxygen sensor but not (logically) with a wideband sensor.
    As you inject HHO, the amount of oxygen increases in the exhaust because of complete burning, the o2 will send a lean mixture signal to the ECU and it will send in more fuel to compensate the leaning effect. This will in turn burn more fuel than what is actually required. So a DEFIE is a must have.