Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vinegar in a scrubber???

I use strong ring magnets on the intake line as a filter and have no problem of the diffuser plugging up. On a clear hose you can see when it needs to be cleaned. The attached one has 102 hours of run time on it. This keeps all magnetic junk out of your reactor helps keep you electrolyte clean especially during conditioning. I also use single rip stock filters to protect my pressure gauge and one way valves from any electrolyte or moisture. These filters have not been in service long enough to know how well they work as far as plugging up etc. Easy to make though.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Quote Originally Posted by myoldyourgold View Post
    I use strong ring magnets on the intake line as a filter and have no problem of the diffuser plugging up. On a clear hose you can see when it needs to be cleaned. The attached one has 102 hours of run time on it. This keeps all magnetic junk out of your reactor helps keep you electrolyte clean especially during conditioning. I also use single rip stock filters to protect my pressure gauge and one way valves from any electrolyte or moisture. These filters have not been in service long enough to know how well they work as far as plugging up etc. Easy to make though.
    Alright, those two ideas are both excellent. What is all the black stuff around the magnets? Also, are they neodymium or ceramic? I want to try the rip stop using a large surface area very bad. Does this completely eliminate water vapor all together?

Alright, those two ideas are both excellent. What is all the black stuff around the magnets? Also, are they neodymium or ceramic? I want to try the rip stop using a large surface area very bad. Does this completely eliminate water vapor all together?
    Stevo, the magnets are neodymium. The material is magnetic junk coming off the 316L SS. In the conditioning stage I double the number of magnets and change it every 30 minutes. It never stops completely but in a reactor which has over 200 hours on it you only need to clean it every 3 to 5 hundred hours and it never gets worse than the picture in fact not as much. I have ball valves on either end and quick disconnects so it is easy to change. It makes a difference in performance because you do not have that stuff building up in the in your electrolyte. It is so fine you do not see it without the magnets but if left in there it will discolor your electrolyte and lower you performance.

I do not understand your comment about ripstop nylon (bad ?). I am not sure but the type I am using I believe does not prevent all moisture from going through but does limit it. It seams to prevent most of the moisture before it goes through any type of bubbler/scrubber. I am in the process of testing these little filters I have made in a number of places. It is to soon and I have so much on my plate at the moment that it will be a while before I compile all of the data. It is all I can do to just look at each of the tests I am doing every day and record what I see. Time is a real problem. The ripstop nylon I am using is non coated and you can breath through it. If you use the coated type it will react with the electrolyte and pollute the electrolyte if being used in certain places and is to restive for my purpose. I am using them mainly to protect one way valves by limiting the amount of moisture and preventing electrolyte build up that makes them fail. One way valves fail very quickly if they get coated with electrolyte and are allowed to dry and of course this happens when you shut things down for a while. I am testing to see if they stop more moisture that is electrolyte rich and less moisture that has been through a scrubber. Time will tell. Hope this helps.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Myoldgold, your thinking in the same direction I do, SAFETY and I like it ... lol. What clogs the filters is the KOH. At high concentrations you will bubble off WAY more KOH then low concentrations. I have evaluated two options for freezing, a heater or high concentration. Both have their own flaws but the best is the high concentration. It solves a LOT of problems. As far as the water and getting brown gunk or residue or anything like that my suggestion is to use 316l or titanium or nickel at the proper amp rating. I never have anything but clear water and I have cells that have been in the field for over a year in testing. But remember 1 year of testing to these over the road trucks is extreme. One of my guys has put 15k miles or more on it per month and runs nearly 24 hours per day. As far as the filters go, they all will clog, but the key is how long can they last. So I change out the WHOLE bubbler assembly once every 6 months(filter is built in and hard to remove). And the water premixed is sold every month. So yes their is maintenance but a simple dump and fill once per month and every 6 months snap off old bubbler and install new is very minimal maintenance.

As far as the reservoir all of my units have flash protection and auto resetting blow off valves, so no my reservoir would not blow up if the bubbler clogged, however there are very few people on here that have put as much effort or safety features into their system as I have. Mainly because they use it for themselves and I make something for the general driver. These days you have to make any product you sell STUPID proof or pay the consequences.

As far as showing my system I am still in testing stage and in the process of patenting so I can't do that but I am always willing to share what I have learned in the last 4 years I have been testing since I feel this is only right. There are many folks on here that have shared a great deal of information with me along my journey and I always like to repay that when I can.

So if your having problems with your system or safety issues I can give ideas to solve them because I think after all the testing I have done we have finally addressed all the issues.

My first test truck was a dump truck that goes off road in construction 12 hours a day. I think I went through 5 different set-ups before I found one that wouldn't fall apart due to the stress these trucks see on a daily basis. Most people don't understand how hard semis are on parts, connections, bolts, vibration, you name it it can break.

I'll second the magnet idea is a great one. i guess you use the epoxy coat neodymium magnet.
    When you're one step ahead of the crowd you're a genius.
    When you're two steps ahead, you're a crackpot."