Thread: Building HHO torch

Building HHO torch

Greetings all,
    I am looking to build a mini hho torch for my jewelry business similar to this type of unit to do soldering. I used one of these units for 9 years without any problems, but really don't want to shell out 2,000.00 for one now.
    My question is I have no idea how much lpm I need for this type of thing. I suspect it wouldn't need as much as what you guys are using for your vehicles.
    Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Ken

I have made a small torch from one 6x6 inch dry cell running about 20 amps (1 lpm) that would probably work well for jewelry. I had everything stuffed into a battery box. Here is a video of the setup without a torch:

Then I built a bigger version with a 8x8 inch cell and have it hooked up to a power supply that goes up to 40 amps. I can adjust the flame from about 15 - 40 amps (1 - 3 lpm). Here is a video of that setup:

It would be interesting to know how much electricity it uses. Does it plug in with a 115 volt plug or is it 220 volts. It should have a nameplate listing amps or watts if you still have access to it.

Hey thanks for the video and replies.
    I don't have access to the old water torch I used, but it ran off of 110v and produced enough gas for 2 torches to run all day everyday. It also had some sort of relay type setup that would cycle on and off for the generator so that it was only producing gas as needed. From the generator, it went to an external bubbler in which I ran MEK.