Thread: What's your favorite gasket material?

What's your favorite gasket material?

I like EPDM because it handles sub zero temperatures very well and hot temperatures above 100 with no problem.

Before, when I first entered this, I used shower pan gasket which is a soft PVC and holds well when warm out but doesn't cut it in cold temperatures.

Chase

Quote Originally Posted by koya1893 View Post
    b1,

My bigger cell (3" X 11") I use EPDM Duro 60. Now that I scaled down the size for small application I use the gasket found at Lowes plumbing section, it's orange 6"X6". it works great for my small cell and holds up well.
    I had to ask because I'm dropping a lot of money to have some large dimension EPDM gaskets cut. These gaskets have to sustain sub zero temperatures and on the same trip through handle the desert heat say...in Arizona. One of my customers had a route that went from Michigan to Yuma, Az. It would be freezing up here Michigan but nice and warm in Az. All covered by one route. So the gasket is my biggest concern because of thermal expansion.

The old cell I had used would have issues with leaking and gas leaking. After some inspections a white powder residue was covering everything where HHO was leaking(KOH infested) So I'm making sure the cell will hold together now and five years from now.

Chase

Chase,
    I've been using the 1/16" 'pond liner'. Never had a problem with it.
    If leakage is a problem, try this: After assembling the reactor, put it in a freezer overnight & re-torque everything. Damn thing will never shrink more than that!
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by lhazleton View Post
    Chase,
    I've been using the 1/16" 'pond liner'. Never had a problem with it.
    If leakage is a problem, try this: After assembling the reactor, put it in a freezer overnight & re-torque everything. Damn thing will never shrink more than that!
    Can pond liner be acquired at any home improvement store? Hmmmm.

Got mine at Homo Depoto. It comes in 12' lengths (I believe) by whatever width you want. I think I bought 1 foot x 12 foot for around $12 or so & still have enough to make a butload more gaskets.
    Always have it cut a bit larger than you want, though. They don't exactly cut it straight!
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

"homo" improvement store? LOL! Guess I better proof read before posting(sigh)