Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wet Cells and Current Leakage

Has anyone thought about lowering the gauge of the neutral plates?
    I mean these bi-polar (neutral) plates are like adding large resistors in between the main powered electrodes. Perhaps the voltage leakage is being caused by them being too thick (having too much resistance).
    Possibly making the neutral plates be a much thinner gauge of metal might help? Like installing a smaller resistor in a circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by ydeardorff View Post
    Has anyone thought about lowering the gauge of the neutral plates?
    I mean these bi-polar (neutral) plates are like adding large resistors in between the main powered electrodes. Perhaps the voltage leakage is being caused by them being too thick (having too much resistance).
    Possibly making the neutral plates be a much thinner gauge of metal might help? Like installing a smaller resistor in a circuit.
    Yea but thinner wire cant carry as much current as a thicker wire....

He is on to something.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Jackson View Post
    Yea but thinner wire cant carry as much current as a thicker wire....
    Wire gauge is not related to this. He is speaking of plate thickness and the high resistance the electromotive force sees in moving electrons and holes through the plates. It would only reason that the thinner the plates, the less resistance. It is something worth looking into.

Rusty,
    I have noted many people only use one contact point for their powered plates. This is something I don't do.
    Given ohms law, having one contact point will due to resistance across the plate have the strongest reaction (electrolysis) near the contact point, and weaken significantly over the distance of the plate as you move to the opposite edge. This would lower the overall output on the plate, yes?
    I use at least two contact points located on opposite sides (diagonally) on each powered plate, to reduce this possibility.
    Wouldn't you agree this would be a better setup? Ideally having all the edges of the plate(s) fed electricity would be preferred. The difference may be minor, but the overall increase may be more significant on larger cells, or cell plates.

absolutely.

If you place a power connector in the middle of a large plate, the edge of the plate does not participate significantly in the evolution of gasses as most of the electrons and holes are used up near the power connection. I have tested this on plates as large as 30x30 inches.

An Italian industrial manufacturer uses multiple power connections for their power plates as they have plates 4 feet by 4 feet.

It may not matter at low amperage, but at high amperage, the erosion around the power connector is notable. By using multi connectors, the amperage flux is reduced at the connectors and so is the erosion. You can go above the .5 amp per square cm rule by this technique and others.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
    Wire gauge is not related to this. He is speaking of plate thickness and the high resistance the electromotive force sees in moving electrons and holes through the plates. It would only reason that the thinner the plates, the less resistance. It is something worth looking into.
    Sorry just trying to be funny... I guess no one got it.

You want to reduce resistance, go to Ni200. Nuff said.

Iver tried that stuff. Maybe I got a bad plate. Because in the wrong side of the cell it produce disgustingly horrible blue foam. I talked to the hazmat recycler and told him about it. He said its a poisonous by product of nickel. I forget now what he called it.
    So I typically use titanium now instead.

Multiple connections are not something new. I have been using them for years. There are some very interesting things that happen though. The current density pattern on the plate changes totally and port location has to be considered when doing this on the unipolar/power plates. Also if you have two connections half the amperage goes in one and half in the other. This helps reduce or eliminate erosion at the connector. Now for bipolar plates when reducing gauge to reduce resistance it does make a slight difference. In a normal bipolar plate flow through series reactor there is a slight difference that is just measurable in a well built reactor by using 20 or 21 gauge for the bipolar plates. Stick with 18 gauge for the Unipolar / power plates where the current is on the out side and does not have to go through it.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Quote Originally Posted by ydeardorff View Post
    Iver tried that stuff. Maybe I got a bad plate. Because in the wrong side of the cell it produce disgustingly horrible blue foam. I talked to the hazmat recycler and told him about it. He said its a poisonous by product of nickel. I forget now what he called it.
    So I typically use titanium now instead.
    Are you sure you had Ni200 (pure nickel)? I have NEVER seen any color from Ni200 and I have beat the hell out of it amp wise.

Nickel is what gives SS it's corrosion resistive property. Also Nickel is more conductive than SS or titanium. The only negative for Ni200 is the price.

Ok wait for the new guy to catch up. Concerning flow of charged particles and path of least resistance: I was seeing in my little head a magnetic field shape pushing and pulling our charged particles throughout our solution. Do we assume path of least resistance is liniar or account for the presence of the field shape altering the path? Also, is the viscosity of said solution such that we could use the flow of the stew to stirr the stew so as to presipate neucleation and thereby keep a higher percentage of plate surface area in direct contact with said stew?