Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is the best ratio between KOH in 1litre water?

Which is the best ratio between KOH in 1litre water?

Which is the best ratio between KOH in 1litre water?

I was given this recipe 860ml of distilled water and 140gr (5oz) of KOH on this board.

Thats roughly 25oz to a gallon of DS.
    What would Jimmy Carter do?

Quote Originally Posted by MtnGoatXJ View Post
    I was given this recipe 860ml of distilled water and 140gr (5oz) of KOH on this board.

Thats roughly 25oz to a gallon of DS.
    The maximum usable concentration of KOH is normally considered to be 28%. That's 720ml DW and 280grams of KOH.

The maximun usable concentration of NaOH is normally considered to be 20%. That's 800ml DW and 200grams of NAOH.

The above concentrations are normally used with a PWM to control current draw. Nothing says you have to use the maximum concentrations though.
    MtnGoatXJ's recipie is a 14% concentration and will work fine in mild climates.

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Best concentration for break-in

I received my KOH 'Caustic Potash Potassium Hydroxide' and I am wanting to try out my generator for the first time. The generator is NOT installed in my truck. I will be running it on my workbench. Is there such a thing as a break in cycle for a HHO cell/generator? My plates are 18g SS. I did passivate them a few weeks ago. They are virgin plates. I read in another posting that with KOH I should expect discoloration and a film to build up. However, that film should NOT impact performance and is in fact a good thing. Please let me know if that doesn't sound right to anyone. So, my other question: If there is an 'optimum' break in cycle, what concentration should we use and for what timeframe?

I currently dont have a PWM, that is another project I am working on but I dont expect to have it test ready for a few more weeks. In the mean time I am looking forward to testing the generator by itself to gather some starting statistics. This question may not be exactly on topic, but is there a list of starting statistics that I should record?

Thanks for any help...

I would suggest that you start with a low concentration because you are not using a PWM. 5% or less by weight. Then increase the concentration so that after running for 1 hour or more the temperature is under or not more than 110ºF. Lower the better. The coloration of the plates is normal and will not affect the performance if the stainless is 316L. Remember to keep the amps between .25 to .50 amps per square inch of active surface area of one side of one plate in a bipolar reactor. After passivation breaking in the reactor is not really necessary but doesn't hurt to run it at low amps for some time in case there are spots that were not passivated properly and to get flow right and electrolyte levels all the same in the the reactor. I would run it in a flooded state to start with and then lower the reservoir to find the spot where the production and heat is optimal.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

How to get between .25 to .50 amps/sqin

My math here has to be wrong?? I will try to keep this short... My setup is a simple dry cell 21 plates SS with 1/16" separation. Each plate has an active surface area of about 6.5"x6.5". Here is my current Neutral plates setup (I can change this easily if you feel there is a better configuration):
    +||||||-|||||+||||||-
    I believe Amps are regulated by increasing/decreasing the concentration of electrolyte (KOH in my case).
    I am thinking that I probably need to invest in an ammeter to really know how many Amps the system is pulling inorder to really know what KOH concentration to use?

Anyway, where am I off in this calculation?

6.5" * 6.5" = 42.25sqin per surface
    42.25sqin * 2surfaces/plate= 84.5sqin/plate
    84.5sqin * 21plates = 1774.5sqin Total
    Xamps/1774.5sqin = .25 Amps/sqin
    Xamps = .25Amps * 1774.5sqin
    X = 443.6Amps needed to produce .25Amps/sqin (that cant be right??)

. Remember to keep the amps between .25 to .50 amps per square inch of active surface area of one side of one plate in a bipolar reactor.
    IF you have 42.25 square inches on one side of one plate and 3 stacks then 42.25 x .25=10.56 x 3 =31.68 amps or 42.25 x .50 = 21.13 x 3 = 63.37 amps. To get the right active area you must subtract the gasket area, the the ports, and the dead space on the top of the plates where the gas prevents any electrolysis, so it most likely is less.

Active area on one side of one plate 42.25
    Times the amps/sq/in .25 or max .50
    Times the number of stacks 3

Your amp range is 30 to 60 amps.

What is really going to happen is at 30 amps you will only have 10 amps per gap/pair. Stacks divide the amps. Just remember cells divide voltage and stacks divide amps. Your setup is 7 cells 3 stacks.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

KOH Precipitation

Once KOH is disolved in water will it stay in solution long term or will it precipitate if it is not shaken regularly?

Once KOH is disolved in water will it stay in solution long term or will it precipitate if it is not shaken regularly?
    NO. Once dissolved it stays dissolved. I do not throw away my old electrolyte but filter it and continue using it. I have no money to throw away!! LOL