Thread: I have started using pot (New cell design I am working on)

Question I have started using pot (New cell design I am working on)

The "BOYNTONPOT"

I have started using pot (New cell design I am working on)

All suggestions/comments welcome.

I am building a new cell using a 7" diameter x 4" high SS pot as the container.

(BTW 304 SS = 18-8 SS normally found in SS pots and flatware.)

I have collected several additional pots of smaller diameter and I am in the process of cutting 2.5" tall cylinders out of them.

The inner plate will be about 5" Dia x 2.5" high ~ 40 sq in.

It appears that the spacing between cylinders will be about 1/4".

My question is whether 1/4" with a high KOH % is equivalent to a tighter spacing?

Hopefully this pot won't boil!

Should heat become a problem, I have plans on how to cool it.

With 40 sq. in. as the minimum plate area, how many plates/wiring would you suggest for a single brute force cell?

Guesstimate the output using 25 Amp?

It is also possible to use a 2.5" wide strip of 304 and make cylinders of various sizes from it in order to make additional plates with tighter spacings.

I can visualize a method whereby no welding is required to make these cylinders. I would use a plastic spacer/connector to bring and hold the 2 edges together and against the adjacent cylinder.

BoyntonStu

Progress today

I need a "pot" connection for at least 2 more.

Its been my experiance that more spacing requires more electrolyte, but not much. A single brute force cell will have a low concetration of electrolyte unless the voltage is very low. My double cell is two cells run in series with both being seperated by a nonconductive spacer. The Cell's config is +NN-NN+. I believe its actually 4 cells with ~3 volts on each one. In one gallon of water I have to use ~4 teaspoons of NaOH to achieve 10 amps. The spacing is 1/16"
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

Looks kind of large...is it just for the bench or is it battery tray mountable?
    "You don't always have to know ALL the answers, but you do need to know where to find them."

Question

Quote Originally Posted by computerclinic View Post
    Looks kind of large...is it just for the bench or is it battery tray mountable?
    I have room for it between the radiator and the front bumper without blocking the air flow to the radiator.

Cooling fins possible.

"A watched pot never boils."

It is 7 dia x 5 high.

Pot is ground.

I ran it dirty today at 10 amps and 9 volts just for fun and to see bubbles.

I expect to be able to easily pump 30 Amps though it if necessary.

My hope is to find enough pots to enable 1/16 or 1/8 spacing.

I have 40 sq in to play with as the minimum inner tube area.

BoyntonStu