Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electrolyte Vapor Filtration

Electrolyte Vapor Filtration

Hey everyone! We all want the same thing, better mpg while making less of an impact on our environment....also sticking to the oil companies is kinda nice too HHO cells dry or wet, have the inherant possiblity of pushing electrolyte vapor into our engine. Not only is this undesirable, but possibly could badly damage engine components inline with air intake. That being said I created this thread to give everyone a platform for ideas to filter out the vapor/moisture coming out of the hho cells we use. This is my solution, and I hope you can give your input along with any other advice or suggestions.

I noticed even after 2 bubblers that there was still a vapor coming out of my hose, and there was condensation forming inside the line. SO, I started thinking ...'what is a good material that could catch the vapor'....Activated Charcoal!!! I made a bubbler-like tube, lightly stuffed the inlet and outlet area with 100% cotton, and between was packed with Activated Charcoal. In goes vapor, out goes clear moisture free gas. No condensation, no white residue...nothing. Just Hydroxy! I went even further and put two of these inline to my motor, after the bubbler. Also, I put the inlet about 3 inches from the bottom, so that moisture can fall to the bottom, where I have a valve to drain it occasionally. I'm sure i'll have to change the Activated Charcoal occasionally once it becomes saturated. I'm looking into filter media that changes color once it's completely saturated. Make sure you check the resistance by blowing through the filter before adding it, to make sure you dont lose output, or build up pressure. Mine is fairly easy to blow through, but I had to re-arrange the cotton a couple of times. When it is packed down tight it gives alot of resistance, so keeping it fluffy is the key. Also I have stainless steel wool at the top of the bubbler to stop splashing water from going out the hose, and it also catches a small amount of vapor. GOOD LUCK! Suggestions/Improvements appreciated!!!

I've thought about this alot too... Nobody want that crap inside their engines, but what about putting that vapor to work. Instead of bubbling it through water or filtering it through charcoal how bout filtering it through a bed of fine aluminium. The aluminium will decompose to aluminium oxide releasing H2. Its a exothermic reaction( produces heat) but with trace amounts of koh or naoh I doubt it would get hot enough to ignite the hho.

Quote Originally Posted by H2GenerationX View Post
    "...I'm looking into filter media that changes color once it's completely saturated..."
    I don't know about activated charcoal, never tried it. But, if you are looking for something that changes color, desiccant works well. When completely dry its blue. When its saturated it turns pink. Here is where I got mine:
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#desiccants/=ay7qav

How much you need will depend on how many lpm your unit produces. I had a 1 lpm unit and it saturated 5 oz after 100 miles or so. More is better. The cool thing is that you can re-use it by drying it out in an oven or a vacuum chamber if you have one. I like the green aspect of this stuff. Saves the engine and re-usable.
    Red Rat

Here's a really cheap one! http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...ter-94733.html
    This is the silica: http://www.harborfreight.com/22-lb-s...ant-97924.html
    Under $12 for everything is a great price. Haven't bought one yet. The store is opening near me in a week or so, so I'm gonna wait, instead of ordering on-line.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by lhazleton View Post
    Good find Hazelton. I started with a cartridge that size. Found it at a car parts store. They are meant to be air driers for pneumatic tools. I discovered that it saturated after less than 10 miles with 1 lpm HHO. So I went bigger, but not big enough. I need to build a cannister that will hold a half gallon of desiccant. More is better. More time between change outs.
    Red Rat

Quote Originally Posted by oicu812 View Post
    I've thought about this alot too... Nobody want that crap inside their engines, but what about putting that vapor to work. Instead of bubbling it through water or filtering it through charcoal how bout filtering it through a bed of fine aluminium. The aluminium will decompose to aluminium oxide releasing H2. Its a exothermic reaction( produces heat) but with trace amounts of koh or naoh I doubt it would get hot enough to ignite the hho.
    OICU812-
    Way to use the old bean, bud! I like this idea tremendously. I'm going to use my angle grinder with an extremely coarse disc on it and make a pile of alum. dust to test in a chamber to try and get an idea how long it will be between cannister changes.

-Carter- Are you seeing this? I think this could well be the third member in the "trinity"...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Come on Guys let's not complicate this. You have an alkaline substance that you need to neutralize. Use an acidic substance that when picked up by the HHO, aids in combustion and neutralizes the alkaline. Think about it.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

I remember reading about this procedure a long time ago somewhere. I believe that 1 concern was that the aluminum would continue to create hydrogen long after the reactor is turned off.
    I don't think I have to re-post my pictures of what happens when there is residual HHO present when an engine starts.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by lhazleton View Post
    I remember reading about this procedure a long time ago somewhere. I believe that 1 concern was that the aluminum would continue to create hydrogen long after the reactor is turned off.
    I don't think I have to re-post my pictures of what happens when there is residual HHO present when an engine starts.
    very true... i'm sure some sort of servo safety valve would have to be used before putting something like this under the hood. I also believe that the trace amount of koh in the vapor wouldn't produce a whole hell of a lot of h2 from the aluminium either, but what the hell every little bit counts. Instead of nuetralizing something why not put it to work for you. you could always put a bubbler and scrubber down stream of the aluminium canister.

You don't need to know everything ,you just need to know who does.

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and have been reading everything i can find.
    I think the smartest thing i can do right now is to ask you before i do anything eles. I would like to build my own generator, but i need some advise.
    First i have 2 vehicles i am intending to start with a 1995 suburban 5.7 liter gas and a 1982 Mercedes 300sd 100k miles on it.
    I am thinking right now that i would like to purchace the best designed generator you might recomend so i could study it and then work on improving it if i can.
    Also your advice on a EFIE for the Suburban.
    Your input will be greatly appreciated.
    *Personal email would be ok to , if you feel it is appropriate
    Thank you chriss1054@gmail.com