Thread: oil pressure switch wiring question.plz help

Smile oil pressure switch wiring question.plz help

Hi all,

congrats on a great forum.

A quick question.

I'm trying to wire my relay to be triggered by the oil pressure sensor, but the voltage seems to work the wrong way around to trigger my relay.

I have tapped into the sensor wire, but when I test it with my multimeter, it shows 12v when the ignition is on, but when the motor is started, the voltage drops to 0v. (switching off the oil light on my dashboard)

Clearly this will only then produce gas when the ignition is on, and production stops when the motor is started.

How can I reverse the polarity of this signal so it will trigger my relay???

Sorry if this is a basic question, I'm confused about it.

Thanks for you quick reply

oil pressure switch help

I think you really have to get a manual about it because it's not easy to figure out the wiring problem especially if it about oil pressure switch. Better consult a mechanic or go to an autoshop since that problem might cause accident in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by zuluroo View Post
    Hi all,

congrats on a great forum.

A quick question.

I'm trying to wire my relay to be triggered by the oil pressure sensor, but the voltage seems to work the wrong way around to trigger my relay.

I have tapped into the sensor wire, but when I test it with my multimeter, it shows 12v when the ignition is on, but when the motor is started, the voltage drops to 0v. (switching off the oil light on my dashboard)

Clearly this will only then produce gas when the ignition is on, and production stops when the motor is started.

How can I reverse the polarity of this signal so it will trigger my relay???

Sorry if this is a basic question, I'm confused about it.

Thanks for you quick reply
    I answered a thread with a warning not to tap into any sensor wires because the ECU control the voltage running through it and on some sensors like in this case it is only momentary. You need to focus on the power distribution box to be safe. I've been running on the system through a power source at the power distribution box, no porblem going that route.