Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12V battery issue

lemains Guest

12V battery issue

Hi,

I am new to this technology and just beginning to test my cell.

How can I keep the cell connected to the 12V battery for a long period of time (+2 hours) without draining the battery?

Yesterday when I connected the cell to the battery, the tester was showing 12.5 V

After 20 min the tester was showing 4.5 V

Thanks a lot,

Smith03Jetta Guest
    You can not expect a battery to last very long if it is not constantly being recharged at a rate equal to your generator consumption. If you want to bench test using a battery, hook up a battery charger to the battery and bump the amps up as high as the charger will go. This should buy you some time.

A better way is to buy an automotive alternator at a used car parts place and mount it to your workbench. Attach an electric motor to the alternator via a belt. Plug the electric motor into the wall and have fun. Don't forget to use a voltage regulator between the alternator and the battery to keep the alternator from overcharging the battery.

I've attached a photo. It's pretty elaborate but you get the idea. It can be done a lot easier than in this photo. This photo is from an alternator shop. They use this setup to test re-manufactured alternators. It's not exactly how we would use the setup but it works just the same.

lemains Guest
    thanks a lot

lemains Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith03Jetta View Post
    You can not expect a battery to last very long if it is not constantly being recharged at a rate equal to your generator consumption. If you want to bench test using a battery, hook up a battery charger to the battery and bump the amps up as high as the charger will go. This should buy you some time.

A better way is to buy an automotive alternator at a used car parts place and mount it to your workbench. Attach an electric motor to the alternator via a belt. Plug the electric motor into the wall and have fun. Don't forget to use a voltage regulator between the alternator and the battery to keep the alternator from overcharging the battery.

I've attached a photo. It's pretty elaborate but you get the idea. It can be done a lot easier than in this photo. This photo is from an alternator shop. They use this setup to test re-manufactured alternators. It's not exactly how we would use the setup but it works just the same.
    how many horse power would the electric motor has to have in order to drive a regular 80A/100A alternator?

thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by lemains View Post
    how many horse power would the electric motor has to have in order to drive a regular 80A/100A alternator?

thanks a lot
    Generally speaking, 1hp for every 25 amps. If your testing a smallish HHO generator that only pulls 20 amps, then you can get away with a 1 hp motor. However most everybody wants to go big in testing, so plan for the future where you may want to draw 60+ amps.

Alternatively many of the guys here build there own power supplies using three old computer power supplies run in series. More recently we have seen people making power supplies out of old microwave transformers. All are viable, find one that you can do cheaply and go with it.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

From what ive read and correct me if im wrong, im still learning, a stepper-motor is the best solution since they start creating electricity at low RPM. As opposed to an alternator that needs to be over 1000 RPM. I seen a video on youtube where someone converts an alternator into a stepper-motor. i hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by slade420 View Post
    From what ive read and correct me if im wrong, im still learning, a stepper-motor is the best solution since they start creating electricity at low RPM. As opposed to an alternator that needs to be over 1000 RPM. I seen a video on youtube where someone converts an alternator into a stepper-motor. i hope this helps.
    Yes, but were are you going to find a stepper motor that can generate 80-100 amps? Unlike the alternator from a vehicle, something like that isn't all that common and will be quite pricey.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

lemains Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Q-Hack! View Post
    Generally speaking, 1hp for every 25 amps. If your testing a smallish HHO generator that only pulls 20 amps, then you can get away with a 1 hp motor. However most everybody wants to go big in testing, so plan for the future where you may want to draw 60+ amps.

Alternatively many of the guys here build there own power supplies using three old computer power supplies run in series. More recently we have seen people making power supplies out of old microwave transformers. All are viable, find one that you can do cheaply and go with it.
    I'm planning to go 80+ amps

so I guess I should be looking for a 4HP electric motor

Also, I guess the amps that the alternation can push are proportional to the RPM applied.. is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by lemains View Post
    I'm planning to go 80+ amps

so I guess I should be looking for a 4HP electric motor

Also, I guess the amps that the alternation can push are proportional to the RPM applied.. is that right?
    A 4 hp electric motor will need to be 220 volts. There are very few 110 volt circuts that can handle that king of amp draw. It will also be very pricey. An alternative if you could live with the noise and can keep it outside is a gasoline powered motor. Honda makes a 5.5 hp small mnotor for under $200.00. It would also provide for some nice testing with HHO. That is the route I am taking this summer.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by H2OPWR View Post
    A 4 hp electric motor will need to be 220 volts. There are very few 110 volt circuts that can handle that king of amp draw. It will also be very pricey. An alternative if you could live with the noise and can keep it outside is a gasoline powered motor. Honda makes a 5.5 hp small mnotor for under $200.00. It would also provide for some nice testing with HHO. That is the route I am taking this summer.

Larry
    Larry,

Why are you working so hard to get 14 Volts and 60 Amps?

Use a MOT as HHOBLASTER suggests, or use 6 ATX power supplies.

Everything is dirt cheap and widely available.

Nothing needs to spin.

BoyntonStu