Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ? on thermolysis of steam and plasma

hey, a hundred years ago towns all across the country used to inject steam into white hot coal to produce towns gas. a hydrogen rich gas used for lighting and cooking. eventually town gas was replaced with natural gas. I bet there's still rural places in pennsylvania or west virginia that use it today.

I was seriously thinking about putting a flatulence trapping devise on a heard of cows and using the gas to cook and heat with. The only problem I am having is the cows are not cooperating. I can not figure out why.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

hey i'm a power lineman and was working at a large dairy farm last week. I noticed the manure digester and asked some questions. the guy said the system cost about $30,000 bucks and provides all the gas for the farm. he had 500 head and said his 50 KVA three phase stand -by generator can run for weeks if it had to.

That is second hand gas I want them both. LOL Manure digesters are a proven science and work especially good in warm climates. In the frozen north they are not very efficient with out some energy used to warm things up.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

I'm here in Western NY That system was working great. Your probebly right though when the temps get down below zero I can see problems.

Compost generates it on heat so...

Have you noticed how this thread has gone to ****
    When you're one step ahead of the crowd you're a genius.
    When you're two steps ahead, you're a crackpot."

getting back on topic,? thermolysis of steam is great as long as you have a economical way of generating 3000 degree F. Unfortunatly most of dont have a couple hundred tons of coal laying around. Sure you could use a plasma torch but it would be a drastic net energy loss. I suppose you could take out a second morgage and invest in a solar furnace but I dont think the wife would be on board with the plan

i just look at the over 15000C temps of plasma and think, that is a huge amount of heat energy that something could be done with. If you look into the plasma reactors used in the CVD diamond process, they make plasma using less energy than a plasma torch, basically a microwave with hydrogen piped in to make the plasma.. So that about 1500watts and hydrogen. Some people are running electrolysis cells that run that much wattage. I don't see making 3000C as taking an extreme amount of energy if you use plasma to do it.

There is so little information on this.....

The plasma is hot enough to produce HHO from steam. FACT
    The question is how much HHO can it make?
    With that kinda of temperatures it could be a significant amount, but seems no one has even really looked into it.

my plans for when i have extra money (probly never)

get a plasma torch, quartz tubing and maybe ceramic tubing. And instead of using heat to make steam, i would use an ultrasonic fogger to produce the water vapor. And just do some experiments to see.

Do you have a link to that plasma reactor yellow snow? 1500 watts sounds like the cats ass! I had a trouble call yesterday at a house . The guy was using a CNC plasma cutter along with a 5 hp air compressor. He bought the CNC machine for $19,000. The house had a 120/240 60 amp service. He burnt one of his hotlegs in half from the amp draw.

Quote Originally Posted by oicu812 View Post
    Do you have a link to that plasma reactor yellow snow? 1500 watts sounds like the cats ass! I had a trouble call yesterday at a house . The guy was using a CNC plasma cutter along with a 5 hp air compressor. He bought the CNC machine for $19,000. The house had a 120/240 60 amp service. He burnt one of his hotlegs in half from the amp draw.
    http://www.sekicvdsolutions.com/micr...ts/AX6300.html

basically to make real diamonds you take a microwave and pipe in hydrogen and a little oxygen to make a small plasma ball. You start with a tiny chip of diamond, then make a plasma ball over the chip, then inject methane into the plasma ball. The plasma will break down the methane to carbon and slowly deposite in layers diamond film onto the chip growing a bigger diamond. This process is called chemical vapor deposit CVD.