Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ? on thermolysis of steam and plasma

? on thermolysis of steam and plasma

I have posted before about themolysis (using high heat to break down water into hho).

If i was to take a regular plasma cutting torch, and a quartz tube with steam flowing through it... According to known science I would be able to put the quartz tube close enough to the sustained plasma that the steam flowing through it is broke down to HHO by thermolysis.

Question 1: Would the quartz hold up? It might get some cooling from new steam flowing in.

Question 2: Would that newly broke down HHO be auto ignited by electric arcs or by the extreme heat? Is it possible to do without igniting??

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
    I have posted before about themolysis (using high heat to break down water into hho).

If i was to take a regular plasma cutting torch, and a quartz tube with steam flowing through it... According to known science I would be able to put the quartz tube close enough to the sustained plasma that the steam flowing through it is broke down to HHO by thermolysis.

Question 1: Would the quartz hold up? It might get some cooling from new steam flowing in.

Question 2: Would that newly broke down HHO be auto ignited by electric arcs or by the extreme heat? Is it possible to do without igniting??
    Sounds like an experiment to me! Start gathering goodies! Oh, wait, maybe I can save you some time- Its auto ignition temperature is 570 C (1065 F), and at anything even remotely close to room temp the tiniest static spark will ignite it, how hot is plasma? Plasma arcs are extremely hot and are in the range of 15,000 degrees Celsius. And the quartz?-
    Quartz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Melting point, 1670 °C (β tridymite) 1713 °C (β cristobalite) ... α-quartz crystallizes in the trigonal crystal system, space group P3121 and P3221 ...
    Hey- wait a minute... why the hell am I looking this stuff up for you? Aw, man... I can't believe I fell for another lazy noob trick..... DAMN!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by BioFarmer93 View Post
    Hey- wait a minute... why the hell am I looking this stuff up for you? Aw, man... I can't believe I fell for another lazy noob trick..... DAMN!!
    LOL Gus!
    It's been a while, but you got me going again!!!!
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

well sounds like you need to re educate your self on the subject of thermolysis. At around/over 3200 degree C steam/water is broke down into HHO. This is being done right now by use of focused solar heat to collect HHO (makes you question the auto ignite numbers). I am simply looking at this route for more efficiant production. And playing with the idea of a plasma heat source.

I just want to experiment on the question of if a plasma heat source requires 2400watts and a supply of inert gas, will the massive heat produced thermally decompose more steam into HHO than energy put in. Plasma is some wicked stuff and not completely understood.
    I have spent many hours reseaching this stuff, but there isn't much info on thermolysis. If you google Thermolysis half of the info you find was wrote by me. (not counting solar thermolysis and hair removel thermolysis)

and as far as the quartz goes yes i looked up the temps for it. They say it is good for about 2800 degree C. BUT in the CVD diamond process the plasma reactor they use uses a quartz tube to contain the plasma. So regardless of the numbers, it holds up in a simular setup.
    and i was assuming you could picture that the tube doesn't need to be directly in the 14000 degree plasma, just close enough to break down the steam for HHO (starts at around 1500C, needs around 3000C to be efficeant).

sorry for not expanding on my questions

No, smartass,
    I didn't Google thermolysis.. Nor do I need to re-educate myself on thermolysis since that would pre-suppose that I had ever educated myself on it in the first place. I looked up the three items I responded about. I accept no credit/blame if the sources of the info don't correspond to the info you seem to already have. Perhaps by now you have noticed that I'm the only one so far that even attempted to respond to your questions? Maybe that's because we are primarily devoted to electrolyser & balance of system R&D here and thermolysis is off in another direction that few of us are familiar with and even fewer of us are interested in pursuing. In closing, I'll say that if you have written half of what is available on the net about the subject, then I dub thee HHO Forums Thermolysis King and will direct all future questions on the subject (should there be any) to you. LONG LIVE THE KING!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by BioFarmer93 View Post
    No, smartass,
    I didn't Google thermolysis.. Nor do I need to re-educate myself on thermolysis since that would pre-suppose that I had ever educated myself on it in the first place.
    Then why even post TROLL? i didn't post to get people to google for me. I just was looking for different perpective.

PS some of us already know electrolysis has hit its top efficiantcy and are looking in other dirrections

I guess you already answered your original question. I wonder how anybody came up with a auto ignition temp for HHO. I have a feeling it was with bottled H2 mixed with bottled O2. HHO qualities vary so much...

A few folks have mixed HHO with GEET reactors upwards of 1000f with know ignition issues. I think you have a interesting idea.
    When you're one step ahead of the crowd you're a genius.
    When you're two steps ahead, you're a crackpot."

PS some of us already know electrolysis has hit its top efficiantcy and are looking in other dirrections
    I am very curious as to what you call top efficiency? Maybe you could educate some of us. Some how I doubt you have experienced anything close to it if you even know what it is. Please correct me if I am wrong. Oh by the way who is Us.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
    Then why even post TROLL? i didn't post to get people to google for me. I just was looking for different perpective.

TROLL?? That's a hoot, noob. Obviously you posses WAY too much class and intelligence for this poor forum, so why bother coming here? Obviously we're still beating our heads against the electrolysis wall while mighty brains like yourself are pursuing far more esoteric options.
    I answered your initial questions because you are a noob to this forum, and the nature of the questions asked implied that you had read an article somewhere and were going to attempt something dangerous to you and whatever buddy you talked into letting you use his cutter. I had no clue you were such a dedicated scientific researcher, not to mention responsible for fully half of the available information about thermolysis on the net.
    Just out of curiosity, in those heady scientific papers you publish, does your spelling get any better than this???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]