Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: 2 small units vs 1 large for Diesel.

Oh Yes I'm well aware smoke is BAD especially from the 6.5, my problem is it runs out of rpms at 2500 so when getting on the highway and it's at 55 in 3rd FLOORED then upshift to 4th to gain speed is where the short comings are it's either lacking fuel or the IP is going.

Like to add...the 6.5 I'm using is a 94' model out of a G20 van. It is mech pump and non turbo.

The generator I'm using is 10" x 10" with 6 neutrals. Only puts 2.7 LPM at 30 amps but 11 amps a liter is good for me. If 6.5 needs just 1 lpm that will be great but I have to experiment with this because were building a unit for a semi truck and my burn is the guinea pig.

Ok turning up the IP is an option for you.

Quote Originally Posted by racer55 View Post
    Your point about retarding the timing on a diesel has me confused,if HHO is fast burning and diesel is slow burning how would injecting later help with pre-ignition?
    A later timing event would add the slow burning fuel even later in the power stroke and make the diesel burn later as well as increase engine heat?

Would the HHO not ignite at the same time regardless of injection timing if it was being fired by compression heat alone.
    It just a theory of mine that need to try out. The reason I mentioned this is when timing is retarded the fuel injects later which combusts later. Retarded timing will allow the HHO to combust later when the piston has traveled further up and the HHO induced combustion won't hammer the piston.

Hopefully the generator will be on in a few days so I can try some of this out. Got everything I need just, need more room with the 10x10 generator. because this is like stuff'n a turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Oshawapilot View Post
    A properly running diesel engine should not The 6.5 is even more susceptible to rapid and extreme damage to detonation than I had even initially realized, and upon a lot of digging I was able to find a few stories of people who grenaded their 6.5's by using HHO. Those who did have "success" with it were noticing marginal MPG increases at best due directly to the fact that they had to turn the HHO system down so drastically to reduce detonation/pinging that it was loosing it's ability to be effective.
    Here is the conversion of the 6.5

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=414585

Like I said to racer, I will be experimenting with this so if everything goes well I will let you know ASAP. If the 6.5 grenades on me then I got a 6.2 for back up.

I think your theory has a flaw,pre-ignition happens when the octane of the fuel cannot withstand the heat in the cylinder and spontaneously combusts.
    The HHO is the culprit here since under compression the cylinder temps skyrocket and the HHO will ignite prematurely.
    A diesel is compression ignition engine,the injection timing determines when the fuel ignites simply by only supplying fuel at the correct time,the ignition temp has already been reached in the cylinder.

Retarding the ignition timing will not help with pre-ignition since the HHO is allowed to ignite independant of diesel being present,retarded timing will actually make things worse by making the engine temp hotter.

Quote Originally Posted by racer55 View Post
    I think your theory has a flaw,pre-ignition happens when the octane of the fuel cannot withstand the heat in the cylinder and spontaneously combusts.
    The HHO is the culprit here since under compression the cylinder temps skyrocket and the HHO will ignite prematurely.
    A diesel is compression ignition engine,the injection timing determines when the fuel ignites simply by only supplying fuel at the correct time,the ignition temp has already been reached in the cylinder.

Retarding the ignition timing will not help with pre-ignition since the HHO is allowed to ignite independant of diesel being present,retarded timing will actually make things worse by making the engine temp hotter.
    That is correct. Where I'm coming from is when HHO is introduced, the flame speed is increased thus less exposure of combustion which translate into more mechanical energy. If retarding the timing on an IDI diesel results in higher temps then HHO could lower the temps by increasing flame speed.

Ultimately like you said, the diesels ignition is set by the compression and there is very little wiggle room for time of combustion but if the combustion is cooled by adding HHO then the lowered temperature offers a later ignition...it's worth a try...gotta try it because I'll go crazy theorizing the rest of the my life of what could'a...would'a...should'a scenario.

Ignition timing is easier on a gas engine because the spark sets it off. Diesels have less room for timing of ignition.

Well I will be starting this in a few days so we'll see what happens.

Good to know,please let us in on your results.

From what I understood the ratio of HHO generation to engine displacement was 1 liter per liter of displacement so a 6.5 would need 6.5 liters HHO.
    Your system might be a great starting point to check on pre-ignition though.

Gentlemen, there is one thing to consider and that is your HHO is diluted with air so much by the time it gets to the precombustion chamber, a match/heaters will not light it unless you are injecting huge amounts of HHO. This is where the amount of air to HHO is as important as HHO to diesel is. When I inject more HHO I crank up the turbo to keep it diluted, cut back the fuel and retard the injection timing just a tad. To much retard and the suckers will not start or run properly without HHO. You need to at least be able to start and limp back to be able to repair the HHO system. Slowing down the burn rate of the HHO is the key. Once you get it all dialed in you will find the sweet spot just like any other method of tuning. Remember there is no HHO at start if the system is wired right only after the engine has started so there should be no worries as far as heaters go anyway. You need to treat HHO like starting fluid. Not good with glow plugs unless it is diluted or very little.

For the novice some basic diesel information:

http://vegburner.co.uk/dieselengine.html
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Carter, thank you... I scrolled down with intent to respond and saw that you had already set the issue straight. Racer- even at 1 liter per liter per minute the amount necessary for self ignition (~4%) is not available. HHO doesn't cause pre-ignition, it actually needs the ignition of the diesel fuel. However- once ignited the flame front travels many many times faster than the flame front of a diesel fuel mist flame front and ignites more areas of the mist simultaneously, which imparts a higher specific impulse and more complete burn. What you feel is more power, less dieselstink and the low back pain that comes from sitting slightly to one side because your wallet is a little thicker As Carter said, the 6.5's issue with the picky timing caused by adding HHO can be mitigated with water injection, which is going to clean carbon and boost mileage also.... Just something to think about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well if nothing else you guys sure provide an education!
    I am still sitting on the fence,partly because of finances and partly because of fear of not having the finances to make repairs if things go south.