Thread: Starting-off with a bang!

Talking Starting-off with a bang!

Yello!

Today I have finally tried my HHO generator and reservoir, making a nice explosion....
    The reservoir exploded in peaces.

I have used 45 grams (1 pound) of Anhydrous Sodium Sulphate per 1 liter of distilled water.
    Shortly after connecting 12V to generator (drawing 5 Amps) the water becomes light brown and after a while bit darker.

With non return valve at the end (no flashback arrestor) , when I have light-up the match there was a nice HHO torch flame for a second.
    Few seconds later when I tried to ignite - kaboom!

Obviously (home-made) non return valve didn't worked....

Any suggestions how to improve the system?

(pics included)

P.S.
    Don't know why but I'm still happy...
    1999. BMW 318i (E46)

I've constructed simple bubblers and match it with simple flash arrestors to prove a point: if you have the output (minimum 1lpm) consistantly flowing through the entire system you should not have a flash back. In your case your output was not sufficient to promote pressure to keep/sustain the flame.

There is a guy in here "joe energy" I believe. He makes one effective flash arrestor for the fraction of the cost of the material used to build your bubbler. Unless you build a dual bubbler, (what I use) you cannot use a bubbler a flash arrestor.

P.S.
    YES, you should be happy to be alive....

First learn the "DO's and Don'ts" of others mistakes,(Watch a lot of youtube) then remember "SAFETY FIRST"... I heard that somewhere

Do- use a bubbler
    Don't- not use a bubbler.
    Never- ignite hydrogen with anything! i.e. balloon, 'makeshift torch'. etc... the sonic blast alone will cause ear damage.

Anhydrous Sodium Sulphate .... isn't it like Sulfuric acid? the MSDS states no contact with metals or oxidizers (O2), use what is proven to work - KOH.

Next, your Brass/nylon/scrubber thingy might be better off in a seperate container. (Correct me if/where I am wrong please)

Good luck with your research and keep it safe

My apologies, Had the wrong name. anyway, here's the link where you can get a good arrestor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HHO-FLASHBACK-AR...item3a64847c61

The only issue with these is; if you are running a 3-lpm and higher.

Thanks for the link.

Well, I have no idea how much HHO it is producing...
    How do you measure the quantity of gas?
    And how it's made this "dual bubbler" you have?
    1999. BMW 318i (E46)

"Sodium sulfate is the sodium salt of sulfuric acid. When anhydrous, it is a white crystalline solid of formula Na2SO4 known as the mineral thenardite..."
    Wikipedia

Well I think it was O.K. as Electrolyte (apart from making water brown), it's safe to handle.

Next, your Brass/nylon/scrubber thingy might be better off in a seperate container. (Correct me if/where I am wrong please)
    Probably it would be better, but in that case small amount of liquid is escaping from reservoir/bubbler and not returning to generator. Which is not dangerous for (aluminum) air intake since there is Anhydrous Sodium Sulphate and not KOH, in any case the liquid should stay in reservoir/bubbler until it' used up.Right?
    1999. BMW 318i (E46)

Quote Originally Posted by rexstar View Post
    Yello!

Today I have finally tried my HHO generator and reservoir, making a nice explosion....
    The reservoir exploded in peaces.

I have used 45 grams (1 pound) of Anhydrous Sodium Sulphate per 1 liter of distilled water.
    Shortly after connecting 12V to generator (drawing 5 Amps) the water becomes light brown and after a while bit darker.

With non return valve at the end (no flashback arrestor) , when I have light-up the match there was a nice HHO torch flame for a second.
    Few seconds later when I tried to ignite - kaboom!

Obviously (home-made) non return valve didn't worked....

Any suggestions how to improve the system?

(pics included)

P.S.
    Rexstar,
    28 grams is one ounce, 16 ounces is 1 pound, so 448 grams = 1 pound...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ups.
    Thanks.
    1999. BMW 318i (E46)