Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Victor's HHO Dry Cell

Victor's HHO Dry Cell

A little bit about my Dry Cell setup:
    2 sections totaling 66 plates (#18 316L 10" * 12") divided into 8 stacks:
    +7N-7N+7N-7N+ | +7N-7N+7N-7N+
    1/16" EPDM 55-65 durometer gaskets with 3/4" width on perimeter.
    Working area of each plate is 8.5"* 10.5" = 89.25 sq.in.
    Theoretical max. power consumption limit: 89.25 sq.in. * 0.5A * 8 stacks = 357A
    Voltage source: 220A Delco Heavy Duty Alternator outputs 14.2V to the Dry Cell.
    Wiring: 10' #1 welding cable wired through 250A fuse, with inline 35 Farad BOSS CAP35 Super Capacitor, 300A HD solenoid relay, from there distribution through #4 OFC wires to each stack.
    E-Lyte: 4 gal. of distilled water from Walmart @ 21% KOH Concentration.
    Ports: 2 x 3/8 barbed 1/4" NPT brass fittings (inlet), 3 x 3/8 barbed 1/4" NPT brass fittings (outlet).
    Filters: 1 x inline Defoamer / sediment filter, Wet filter, Dry filter.
    Sidewalls: 3 x 1" * 11.5" * 13.5" Polypropylene sheets.
    Bolting: 3/8" Anodized metal rods with compression springs.

In progress:

MECHANICAL:
    E-Lyte cooling system,
    Continuous duty 3.3 gal pump
    Flashback arrestor
    Adjustable overpressure release valve
    Vacuum valve
    check valves

ELECTRICAL:
    Full cell control automation with .NETMF microcontroller
    600A n-Channel PFETs array for PWM control
    4 x temperature sensors
    current sensor
    battery voltage sensing (for automatic power up/down)
    Barometric pressure / temperature sensor = altitude calculation
    approximation of HHO productivity
    gas leakage sensor
    a hack of a lot more features...
    + Electronic GAS MASS FLOW METER!!!

CURRENT PRODUCTIVITY DATA:

LPM - 5.50
    MMW - 4.84
    Normalized mL -5409.29
    Normalized LPM - 5.41
    Normalized MMW - 4.76
    Faraday Maximum Hydrogen - 5027.46
    Faraday Maximum Oxygen - 2513.73
    Faraday Maximum HHO - 7541.19
    Faraday Maximum LPM - 7.54
    Faraday Maximum MMW - 6.64
    Voltage Per Cell - 1.75
    Amps Per Cell - 10.00
    Ohms Per Cell - 0.17
    Current Density A/sq in - 0.1120
    Current Efficiency - 72.93%
    Voltage Efficiency - 84.68%
    VOLVO VNL 670 '04, 12L D12D engine, ODO beyond 1.1M miles. Stock 6.0 MPG. Managing up to 7.3 MPG w/o HHO Cell, w/ straight flow muffler, EGRs OFF, AirTabs, ...
    SMART HHO Dry Cell in progress: 10"x12" #20 316L 66 plates unipolar 6 stack, 200 AMP PWM, Fully monitored & controlled by .NETMF Platform. 7.33LPM @ 102A

My Youtube vIdiotics.
    FUEL ECONOMY CONVERSION TABLE & FUEL EFFICIENCY FACTORS Cheat Sheet for Truck Drivers
    CHEMICAL RESISTANCE GUIDE FOR PLASTIC AND METAL VALVES AND FITTINGS

inter filter as DeFoamer and Electrolyte filter

Anybody already figured out how to make best FOAM suppressant for BIG HHO Dry Cell?! If not, then I did and I am very pleased with it.

It both suppresses all foam coming out from my big cell, and filters electrolyte at 5 micron rate!

Mainly, the FOAM is a sign of dirty cell/electrolyte. While I was conditioning my cell for about 100 hours I had a lot of crap coming out of it. After reassembling the cell and putting new e-lyte in the foam formation dropped for about 90%!

Take look at this YouTube video and tell me what you think! I use it on my cell for 2 weeks already and it never failed me, though I am scheduling to change the filter cartridge every 3-4 weeks periodically. The cartridge in the filter is a special one, and can be found at Menards for about $6 a piece.

Comment regarding DeFoamer solutions: I tried two of them, and all these solutions do not withstand high temperatures along with the KOH. The Solutions I tried are "Defoamer by HTH SPA" from Walmart, and "Defoamer by Southern AG" bough on eBay. First one is complete BS, second one works way better but has to be replenished. The problem with replenishing the Defoamer solutions is that when it breaks down it forms white silicone flakes that gather all micro particles together and then are prone to get stuck between the plates making very conductive spots there and as a result these flakes conduct more electricity through them and kill plates surface right there! My advise, Do not use any Defoamer solutions, Just go with a filter I integrated into my cell. It cost me around $50 with the fittings and mounting bracket, but it is worth of it!
    VOLVO VNL 670 '04, 12L D12D engine, ODO beyond 1.1M miles. Stock 6.0 MPG. Managing up to 7.3 MPG w/o HHO Cell, w/ straight flow muffler, EGRs OFF, AirTabs, ...
    SMART HHO Dry Cell in progress: 10"x12" #20 316L 66 plates unipolar 6 stack, 200 AMP PWM, Fully monitored & controlled by .NETMF Platform. 7.33LPM @ 102A

My Youtube vIdiotics.
    FUEL ECONOMY CONVERSION TABLE & FUEL EFFICIENCY FACTORS Cheat Sheet for Truck Drivers

Testing my HHO Dry Cell In Real Conditions.
    Draw of 115 AMP @ 14V in an idling semi truck with 220 AMP alternator.
    Having 8 stacks with 7 neutral plates = 66 plates (10"x12"). Outputing minimum as 6 LPM or even higher.

I want to buy digital MASS GAS FLOW METER and measure real HHO output with certified measurement device.

I have a flaw in my design yet - under pressure (20-30 psi) I get a leak between the gaskets when the pump cycles, my distribution rods melted my polypropylene side walls under a load of 150 AMP yesterday. That is probably because I used SS 1/4" threaded rods to distribute the electricity across the cell (they do not oxidize but resistance on these SS rods is huge). So I am thinking on replacing the rods with black metal material for now. In another cell design I will bolt the connections to the plates to get better conductivity and heat loss through th? contacts.

My Youtube vIdiotics.

Wink

Hello again,
    would like to post first test results of my cell.

Running right off cold start:
    20 seconds for the system to pressurize in order to open check valve after bubbler. Pressure in the system does not go over 2 PSI.

In 9 seconds got 1.1 liter bottle of cold gas (temp. about 25 deg. celsius) @ 102 AMP, 13.8 V. Had to remove flashback protector since it creates additional pressure in the system and production drops for about 20%.

Just removed the check valve and did the same test. Gas production started right off the start, no back pressure in the system, yielded the same LPM.

My LPM for now is 7.33 LPM @ 102 AMP. That is 1 LPM @ 13.91 AMP. MMW = 5.26.

I was not running all 66 plates, just 4 stacks with 5 neutrals. I find that 5 neutrals do yield better HHO production that 7 neutrals.

As I understand, the check valve and the flashback protector are a must, my next steps are the following (to over come the back pressure in the system and perhaps create vacuum conditions): install vacuum pump or manage very good venturi device to keep pressure in the system bellow 0 PSI in order to pull the gas out and keep the check valve / flashback protector open, thus pushing the system produce more HHO. Another thing on TODO list is to disassemble the reactor then:
    • media blast all the plates
    • seal all ports with Weld-On #16 or vinyl
    • remove resistance on electrical terminal on the polar plates

After doing that hope to get closer to 1 LPM @ 10 AMP.

My Youtube vIdiotics.

Sounds like you're progressing nicely. A little back pressure, below 3 psi, shouldn't hurt anything and shouldn't affect production. I personally don't think you need a check valve, especially after the bubbler. After a while they seem to sick open anyway. A GOOD flashback arrester is needed, though, and should cause a drop in production.
    1991 Plymouth Acclaim 3L V6.
    1 dry cells with nineteen 6"x8" 316L ss plates, driven by constant current PWM set at 35 amps (13.3V at PWM). 28% KOH electrolyte. Total measured output 2.5 lpm. Mileage went from 18 to 26 mpg, all city driving (44% increase). EFIE set at .370 and I still need to play with ignition timing.

Quote Originally Posted by astrocady View Post
    Sounds like you're progressing nicely. A little back pressure, below 3 psi, shouldn't hurt anything and shouldn't affect production. I personally don't think you need a check valve, especially after the bubbler. After a while they seem to sick open anyway. A GOOD flashback arrester is needed, though, and should cause a drop in production.
    I agree that little psi does not hurt, but the flashback made up to open above 5psi is a major drawback. And with the system producing over 2-3 LPM custom made stuff is not reliable to use.

My Youtube vIdiotics.

A GOOD flashback arrester is needed, though, and should cause a drop in production.
    Ooooops! I made a type! the above should have read...

A GOOD flashback arrestor is needed, though, and should NOT cause a drop in production.

These are the arrestors I use...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/HHO-FLASHBACK-AR...item3a64aa9e94

Steve
    1 dry cells with nineteen 6"x8" 316L ss plates, driven by constant current PWM set at 35 amps (13.3V at PWM). 28% KOH electrolyte. Total measured output 2.5 lpm. Mileage went from 18 to 26 mpg, all city driving (44% increase). EFIE set at .370 and I still need to play with ignition timing.

Ooooops! I made a type! the above should have read...

A GOOD flashback arrestor is needed, though, and should NOT cause a drop in production.

These are the arrestors I use...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/HHO-FLASHBACK-AR...item3a64aa9e94

Steve
    Steve,
    I use the FA-130-P oxygen flashback arrestor by Western Industries, and that piece of crap creates enough of back pressure in my system. I will check into your source for the arrestors.

P.S. Steve, are you the same Steve as delvis11?

My Youtube vIdiotics.

Quote Originally Posted by borescopeit View Post
    Steve,

P.S. Steve, are you the same Steve as delvis11?
    No, I have no idea who delvis11 is. I sometimes go by HydroSysSteve on other forums.

No, I have no idea who delvis11 is. I sometimes go by HydroSysSteve on other forums.
    I see that.

About the flashback arrestor I use: it is professional welder's flashback with check valve. Your flashback you use is just filed with bronze or some other kind of mesh type material. Right?

To protect Dry Cell with potential 20 LPM I need really fail safe arrestor.

My Youtube vIdiotics.