Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ECU in a Subaru Legacy 1992 ?

ECU in a Subaru Legacy 1992 ?

Hi!

I have a Subaru Legacy from 1992 and i'm wondering if I installed a hho generator in my car, would i still have to trouble with that computer that calculates Air:Fuel ratio? And what about the O2 sensor and MAP/MAF sensor?

Did all this exist in the 90' ?

BTW: it is an auto transmission car, does this matter?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse94 View Post
    Hi!

I have a Subaru Legacy from 1992 and i'm wondering if I installed a hho generator in my car, would i still have to trouble with that computer that calculates Air:Fuel ratio? And what about the O2 sensor and MAP/MAF sensor?

Did all this exist in the 90' ?

BTW: it is an auto transmission car, does this matter?

Thanks!
    im not sure about 92 but i have done 96 up to 2008.

this was my 1998 Subaru Legacy back in the day running on a wet cell and retuned with a VAFC
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cujp4...eature=related

Nice!
    So you had to fool the computer to accept the increased oxygen?

VAFC, what is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse94 View Post
    Nice!
    So you had to fool the computer to accept the increased oxygen?

VAFC, what is that?
    first of all when ur porting your HHO do NOT port it before your O2 sensor. notice in my Subaru videos i port the HHO after the O2 sensor. the AFC is just to give you full control over your Air:Fuel ratio and allows you to tune your car

After O2 sensor.. Roger that!

The AFC sounds like a nice device, where do you hook it up?

connected to the ECU to control your air:fuel ratio

Quote Originally Posted by ultra_efficient View Post
    first of all when ur porting your HHO do NOT port it before your O2 sensor. notice in my Subaru videos i port the HHO after the O2 sensor. the AFC is just to give you full control over your Air:Fuel ratio and allows you to tune your car
    Since the O2 sensor is located in the EXHAUST, I don't think you want to inject the HHO AFTER the O2 Sensor. Big Bang.

I think what you meant, was after the MAP/MAF sensor in the air intake.

I have a 91 Chrysler and it loves HHO, but I did need to treat the O2 sensor with an EFIE. Fortunately, my car only had 1 sensor.
    1991 Plymouth Acclaim 3L V6.
    1 dry cells with nineteen 6"x8" 316L ss plates, driven by constant current PWM set at 35 amps (13.3V at PWM). 28% KOH electrolyte. Total measured output 2.5 lpm. Mileage went from 18 to 26 mpg, all city driving (44% increase). EFIE set at .370 and I still need to play with ignition timing.

haha, yeah, it probably was the MAP/MAF sensor he meant :P
    So if I mount it after the MAP MAF, i don't need any MAP/MAF enhancer?
    Should i use an AFC then to adjust the air/fuel ratio and use an EFIE to do the other thing? :P

Thanks

You are asking for a large amount of data, which indicates you have not done any reading about the components you are about to mess with. do some research on EFIE and the AFC.

As far, as the MAF enhace. I wouldn't recommend playing with the unless you understand the EFIE. In the end you won't need an MAF enhace once you get the basic functionality of the EFIE. The AFC is more complex than the EFIE. so read about them first. Another thing, all of this approach and question you are asking are part of the basice understanding before you even attemp to install a system to your car. you just can't install one and starting asking question, which a lot of us spent hours testing and researching to find the answer.

Get the basic, and you will answer your own question.

MAF is a O2 sensor too. i should have said "after the front O2 sensor. my Subaru didn't have a back O2 sensor that's why i didn't bother to mention it. and i would recommend the AFC over the EFIE any day because of the millions of advantages, like detecting knock, checking MAF and TP signals, if you don't have a RPM on your odometer the AFC allows you to see your RPM, the EFIE have 1 flat setting for all your RPM and TP(throttle positions) while you can set multiple correction points with a AFC. eg. at 0-1000RPM you want a correction of -40% and thats fine for the engine because its not under load but when you want to go -40% is too lean so you would need say -30% correction to drive, then you can always set your correction points to how you like, idle at -45% correction and drive at -30% correction and if you demand more power then you have 2 sets of correction for the different TP zones. eg. low TP zone is set at 0 to 20% TP(meaning if you push the gas peddle 20% down) you will use only the low setting, then if you want a richer setting over 20% TP then you set the high TP zone to be some thing like -5% correction ect. some people go +xx% on their high TP settings.

check a racer's AFC settings on youtube and you will see their correction at WOT(wide open throttle)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuvrRovRubY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciAVQ...eature=related

a AFC will let you tune your car in a more in dept and accurate way. while a EFIE is just turn a knob and that's it, wherever the knob is that's where your whole driving setting is going to be. that is why all the racers dont use EFIE because its not a accurate way to tune.

because HHO systems have so many different aspects to take into consideration i would recommend you take your time to learn all the basics then design your own system, after you design it then ask around on some web sites like this one for people's opinion and pointers on your design then make the necessary tweaks and start building. the last thing you are going to do is tune, and tuning is a hand full so get ready because just tuning your ECU and MAF/MAP line and TP at what RPM is just the first step then you will have to sync that with your PWM if you install one. im about to install a Digital PWM is controlled by my AMP/MAF line and TP settings. i cant wait to get it LOL because as for now im not usinf a PWM so my cell is just on a flat line no matter what my MAF/MAP is.