Thread: KOH alternatives

KOH alternatives

Has anyone used some other electrolyte besides KOH?
    Why am I asking? because most people don't have it around so much.
    I am setting up experiments with salt water and even baking soda and getting some interesting results.

NO SALT WATER EVER! Baking Soda, maybe to hold you over until you can get something better. Just get some Potassium Hydroxide (KOH) or Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH, drain cleaner). Trust me, just about everything has been tried.

I was told at several stores around my area that lye was being used as an ingredient in meth so most of the stores are not carrying it anymore. A couple years ago I was making a batch of shaving soap and after not finding it at four different stores I finally asked why.

But it is still easy to get online. Several Ebay sellers carry it. And it's in bottles that keep the moisture out. The push on lids that Red Devil uses don't seal good and it becomes a hard lump real fast after opening.

True Value carries it in drain cleaner marked bottle, it comes 450 mg (1 lb.) Go to your toilet section of any hardware store. But for experiment purpose, you can pick up a gl. of any drain cleaner with NaOH use that to get started with. It actually works well, the reason I say that it's because I accidently pulled a tube from my cell while traveling and drain the entire reservior, they are clamp now. Anyway, I used a gl. of the drain cleaner mixed it 1 to 1 with distilled water. Still got my mileage on the way home.

Of course I had to drain and flush out the system afterwards.