Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underground Explanation

Underground Explanation

I managed to badger Nick enough to find out what exactly happened at the Underground and why. This is what he said:

Nick@nicksrealm.com to me
    show details 12:56 PM (6 hours ago)
    I don't owe anybody anything. I have an absolutely clear concience. Everyone knows, or should, that when dealing with anything to do with computers, the number one rule is "create a backup" and rules number two and three are "see rule number one". However, just in case someone didn't already know that, I clearly let everyone know, on several occasions, that if there was information contained in certain posts, that they wanted to keep protected, they should copy and paste it into a text file and save it to their computer and if it was something really important to them they should then save it to disk or some other external storage device. It's not my fault that some people were too stupid to follow that common sense advice.

Now, although I don't feel obligated in any way, I find it difficult to resist your eloquent inquiry. I did enjoy reading your wild speculation that some personal traumatic events combined with some supposed paradigm shift associated with Larry's experiments might have played some kind of a role in my decision, but you couldn't have been further off base if you tried.

The fact of the matter is that it became more of a chore than a pleasure. When you've spent as much time, effort and money, trying to help people with no expectation of recompense, as I have, after a while it becomes exasperating to see the same old nonsense and bull**** crop up again and again from people that should know better. It just became more like job that people expected me to perform than a hobby. When a hobby begins to feel like a job, it's no longer a worthwhile hobby. It's really that simple.

show details 6:03 PM (1 hour ago)
    I forgot to tell you that since Larry was kind enough to ask so nicely, I've gone out of my way to temporarily restore all the posts so people can copy whatever they feel is important before I shred them forever.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by BioFarmer93 View Post
    I managed to badger Nick enough to find out what exactly happened at the Underground and why. This is what he said:

show details 12:56 PM (6 hours ago)
    I don't owe anybody anything. I have an absolutely clear concience. Everyone knows, or should, that when dealing with anything to do with computers, the number one rule is "create a backup" and rules number two and three are "see rule number one". However, just in case someone didn't already know that, I clearly let everyone know, on several occasions, that if there was information contained in certain posts, that they wanted to keep protected, they should copy and paste it into a text file and save it to their computer and if it was something really important to them they should then save it to disk or some other external storage device. It's not my fault that some people were too stupid to follow that common sense advice.

Now, although I don't feel obligated in any way, I find it difficult to resist your eloquent inquiry. I did enjoy reading your wild speculation that some personal traumatic events combined with some supposed paradigm shift associated with Larry's experiments might have played some kind of a role in my decision, but you couldn't have been further off base if you tried.

The fact of the matter is that it became more of a chore than a pleasure. When you've spent as much time, effort and money, trying to help people with no expectation of recompense, as I have, after a while it becomes exasperating to see the same old nonsense and bull**** crop up again and again from people that should know better. It just became more like job that people expected me to perform than a hobby. When a hobby begins to feel like a job, it's no longer a worthwhile hobby. It's really that simple.

show details 6:03 PM (1 hour ago)
    I forgot to tell you that since Larry was kind enough to ask so nicely, I've gone out of my way to temporarily restore all the posts so people can copy whatever they feel is important before I shred them forever.
    Ok, I will comment here. It is true that the underground is Nicks site and his to do whatever he wants to do with it. Making and running an open forum is a personal choice that is made by the person creating the forum. They go after new members and open the site to free posting of ideas and thoughts by the members that they recruited. They choose to spend the money to create the forum. They choose to allow free thought and ideas to be posted. If you make a choice it is on you not the people you recruit. It is sad that people today blame others for their own choices.

Nick, You can be dissapointed at the results. You can disagree with the ideas and posts. Just remember that YOU freely created this open space for folks to express their ideas and that most posts are posted as ideas to help. Right or wrong most are trying to help. Also remember that the people posting rely on the forum to save and back up their posts and thoughts.

By creating this forum for free thinking YOU and only YOU took on the responsibility to make the posts safe. That is something YOU took upon yourself. People can save their posts but YOU took on the responsibility to save the whole thing. It is the interaction of all the members that makes an open forum work. NOT the individual posts of the one but the whole dialect of the group that makes the thread valuable to the group.

I started the Beastie thread but the group made the finished project. I may have spent the money and done the work but the concept was a group thinking idea YOU included.

I do not need to copy and save anything because I already have all I need. Others may need information from many threads. The least you could have done is warn everyone that you were shutting down the site. You chose to ignore the responsibilities you willingly created and just delete everything.

You can call everyone stupid if you want but deep inside you know the truth.

The VERY least that you could have done is warn everyone that the site was shutting down and thet they needed to copy and save anything they wanted. You created the site and accepted the responsibility associated with it. ONLY YOU!

Sadly today responsibility means less and less.

Nick, You have much to offer but like everyone else here (myself included) you also have much to learn. Ignore the facts and only you will lose.

Sadly
    Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

pity for the forum
    pity for the nick's arrogance

Quote Originally Posted by H2OPWR View Post
    Ok, I will comment here. It is true that the underground is Nicks site and his to do whatever he wants to do with it. Making and running an open forum is a personal choice that is made by the person creating the forum. They go after new members and open the site to free posting of ideas and thoughts by the members that they recruited. They choose to spend the money to create the forum. They choose to allow free thought and ideas to be posted. If you make a choice it is on you not the people you recruit. It is sad that people today blame others for their own choices.

Nick, You can be dissapointed at the results. You can disagree with the ideas and posts. Just remember that YOU freely created this open space for folks to express their ideas and that most posts are posted as ideas to help. Right or wrong most are trying to help. Also remember that the people posting rely on the forum to save and back up their posts and thoughts.

By creating this forum for free thinking YOU and only YOU took on the responsibility to make the posts safe. That is something YOU took upon yourself. People can save their posts but YOU took on the responsibility to save the whole thing. It is the interaction of all the members that makes an open forum work. NOT the individual posts of the one but the whole dialect of the group that makes the thread valuable to the group.

I started the Beastie thread but the group made the finished project. I may have spent the money and done the work but the concept was a group thinking idea YOU included.

I do not need to copy and save anything because I already have all I need. Others may need information from many threads. The least you could have done is warn everyone that you were shutting down the site. You chose to ignore the responsibilities you willingly created and just delete everything.

You can call everyone stupid if you want but deep inside you know the truth.

The VERY least that you could have done is warn everyone that the site was shutting down and thet they needed to copy and save anything they wanted. You created the site and accepted the responsibility associated with it. ONLY YOU!

Sadly today responsibility means less and less.

Nick, You have much to offer but like everyone else here (myself included) you also have much to learn. Ignore the facts and only you will lose.

Sadly
    Larry
    O' Wise One, I'm not going to bother pointing out all the logical flaws in your reasoning, but it is exactly these sorts of displays of deficiencies in critical thinking that generated the exasperation that sucked all the fun out of it, eventually wore me down and caused me to close down the site.

Grow up.
    "Sell your cleverness and purchase bewilderment"

Quote Originally Posted by karmagos1 View Post
    pity for the forum
    pity for the nick's arrogance
    I have an account at Nick's Underground, but after spending hours of reading the posts I am retracting from that forum, cause this hhoforums.com is way more superior than the discussed one.
    VOLVO VNL 670 '04, 12L D12D engine, ODO beyond 1.1M miles. Stock 6.0 MPG. Managing up to 7.3 MPG w/o HHO Cell, w/ straight flow muffler, EGRs OFF, AirTabs, ...
    SMART HHO Dry Cell in progress: 10"x12" #20 316L 66 plates unipolar 6 stack, 200 AMP PWM, Fully monitored & controlled by .NETMF Platform. 7.33LPM @ 102A

My Youtube vIdiotics.
    FUEL ECONOMY CONVERSION TABLE & FUEL EFFICIENCY FACTORS Cheat Sheet for Truck Drivers
    CHEMICAL RESISTANCE GUIDE FOR PLASTIC AND METAL VALVES AND FITTINGS

Quote Originally Posted by IM2L844 View Post
    O' Wise One, I'm not going to bother pointing out all the logical flaws in your reasoning, but it is exactly these sorts of displays of deficiencies in critical thinking that generated the exasperation that sucked all the fun out of it, eventually wore me down and caused me to close down the site.

Grow up.
    I am done bantering back and forth. I guess I will just have to live with being stupid. Oh well I like myself just the way I am.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

whats this? you guys having a little ruckus?

I didn't spend much time in the Underground, that's because when I am on travel I use a monitored server and it did not let me log in. but I was able to view the threads. Having said, if you offer or build a facility for everyone to express their interest or give inputs to certaind subject they feel they can add some value. You must have some acceptance that people will "run at the mouth" and behave or get a bit silly at times. Yes, it will get irritating at times. But to close a playing ground because the kids got to loud. My question is; Why build a playground if you did not expect it to be loud?

I've learned a great deal about this subject from all the mentors in here. Yes, I get nasty at times because some NEWBIE post a question asking for the same answer that was answered two threads ago by everyone. The make the matters worst, they did not do a search and then they get demanding for help. I still take time to read and answer them. I guess it reminds me when I first started in here.

Unhappy

Yes, it's a shame it's gone.
    My biggest regret is that I'll lose contact with you guys. I can't connect to this site from home for some reason and work dosen't like me using the internet. Bugger!

Pete.

Pete, you have to solve that problem!! There has to be some way. Talk to your internet provider and see if they can help. I think there was a problem some time back because lots of us could not get on but those problems seem to have been solved.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .