Thread: Safety Measures

Safety Measures

Now that I have a good idea on material and construction of the Dry Cell, I now want to start thinking about some of the safety devices needed. Any recomendations? I was going to make a bubbler/resovoir out of 3"PVC with a rubber cap doubled as a blow off. Should I consider a second Bubbler? What kind of spark arrestor should I be installing? THinking of using a spark arrestor of Oxygen cutting torch but not sure of the minimum pressure required to pushh open the check. An accetylene spark arrestor would work but it would be left handed threads making it more difficult to addapt. Any thoughts? I seen some posts on a bubbler with steel wool etc. Any body have input on any of these?
    VIN 1GTHK33F0RJ737771
    1994 K3500 crew cab 4x4 non- dually
    Walt's Air Filter Upgrade
    4" Turbo Back Exaust
    No Muffler no Cat
    Homemade Boost Controller
    Boost Gauge, EGT Gauge, Trans Temp
    B&M Transmission Aluminum Pan
    Remote PMD with #9
    Marine Injectors
    Aftermarket cylinder heads
    Walt's cooling upgrade w/Duramax fan and clutch.
    199,000 miles
    BF Goodrich A/T's. 265/75-R16

Reading, Pennsylvania

OK,
    This is the way I do it, maybe not the "best", but it works.

Don't count the reservoir as a bubbler, it's not the same thing.

Your bubbler design needs to produce very small bubbles so that the maximum amount of electrolyte "vapour" (micro droplets) is washed out of the HHO by the (distilled) water. I also use stainless steel wool in the bubblers to act as a maze scrubber so the bubbles bounce off lots of surfaces on the way through and give up more electrolyte.
    I use two bubblers like this, just with distilled water.
    Because different HHO generator designs will give different amounts of "vapour" you may not need two, but for peace of mind I always do and sometimes even a moisture trap (a scrubber) close to the point you introduce the HHO, if the hose run is more than a few feet.

I don't use dedicated flame arresters, a well constructed bubbler performs the same function. Also the speed of the flame front of HHO is faster (so I'm told) than flame arresters for commercial gasses can cope with.

A rubber cap as a blow-off is OK, but it has to be tight enough not to leak, but also not so tight that it's too slow releasing any explosive pressure. I've seen a few very clever (and low-tech) ways of providing pressure relief, that work better, but a rubber cap is easy (and I'm lazy). An easily removable cap is also handy for changing the water.

Hope that helps,
    Pete.

For those who haven't tried them I can tell you that most commercially available flash arrestors designed for Oxy/Acetelene and the like are completely useless for HHO. There are 2 reasons. First Hydrogen has such a fast flame speed and second the arrestors are not intended for use with a flammable gas mixed with Oxygen like HHO is. There is almost no chance of an Acetelene backflash because there is no oxugen to mix it with in the tank. It simmply smothers itself as soon as the flame gets in the hose. With HHO the gas has everything it needs to flash back to the source.

There are many good pressure releif's available cheep to use on the bubbler. Peter Crunk (HHOGASTECHNOLOGIES) makes a very good flashback arrestor for HHO.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

Bazarom, I have a three inch diameter bubbler that is 12" long. I feed my HHO into the bubbler from the top side. From that fitting I have a coiled tube that is 6' long that fits inside of the tubing and on the bottom end is an Aquatic diffuser. My bubbler is installed next to radiator to cool the HHO gas. This converts any steam generated back to a liquid. I have also filled my bubbler 3/4 full with broken auto glass to break up any large NOAH bubbles. I fill my bubbler up with 1/4 vinegar with 3/4 water to neutrilize any residual NAOH. I than go to a second bubbler 1 1/2 diameter x 18" long, from there I use a flash arrestor from bruceenergetics.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategor.../air%20stone/4
    http://shop.ebay.com/bruceenergetics...&_trksid=p4340