Thread: 24 volts on a two plate wet cell? (Totally new.)

24 volts on a two plate wet cell? (Totally new.)

Hello,

I'm totally new to HHO and plan on building a dry cell in the future. Before I do, I'm doing some experimentation with a wet cell, just to get the basics down.

I've been reading on the forum that you shouldn't drop more than 2v between plates. Does this also apply to wet cell construction? I'm assuming that this is only for multi-plate dry cells... I see a lot of 12v, two-plate, wet cells on utube.

I'm currently running mine at 24v because I just happened to have an old wheel-chair charger laying in my workshop. I'm sure that this way too much voltage, but I am producing HHO gas.

My electrodes are two S.S clip pieces from an old dishwasher. They are about 1/8 of an inch apart and are pulling 6 amps. Probably totally inefficient?

I also had a question about this video on utube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3LVh...1&feature=fvwp

Wouldn't the slots in the Stainless spatulas really increase leakage current? ( I don't plan on making this, because I don't want to expend any money until I make my dry cell. I still would like to know, however.)

Just wondering.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Hey Tim,
    Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've made yourself a wonderfully inefficient water heater that makes a little HHO as a by-product. The ~2v limit applies to wet or dry cells. Can't trust everything you see on Youtube, as 12v & 2 plates is a fairly typical beginner's mistake, but people just love to make videos... Some folks should have to pass a competency quiz before being allowed to upload their mistakes and perpetuate erroneous thinking. Couldn't view the video (at work) but spatulas are a non-starter anyway. All wet cells, and most dry cells are going to have some current leakage, some more than others depending on design and prep. Anything made with spatulas, I feel I can gaurantee, sight unseen, will leak current.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by BioFarmer93 View Post
    Hey Tim,
    Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've made yourself a wonderfully inefficient water heater that makes a little HHO as a by-product. The ~2v limit applies to wet or dry cells. Can't trust everything you see on Youtube, as 12v & 2 plates is a fairly typical beginner's mistake, but people just love to make videos... Some folks should have to pass a competency quiz before being allowed to upload their mistakes and perpetuate erroneous thinking. Couldn't view the video (at work) but spatulas are a non-starter anyway. All wet cells, and most dry cells are going to have some current leakage, some more than others depending on design and prep. Anything made with spatulas, I feel I can gaurantee, sight unseen, will leak current.
    Thank you for the help, BioFarmer.

This is exactly why I wanted to experiment and learn before I invested time and money in a dry cell....honestly, I didn't expect to run into so much misinformation from the very start though. I'm glad that I found this forum.

There sure a lot of people making 2 plate, 12 volt systems.

At least I have something to show for my work so far....a 24v hho coffee maker.

Could I ask another question?

If I were to drop my voltage to 2 volts and leave everything else the same, would I produce as much (or close to as much) hho with 2 volts as I do with 24? Just a lot less heat?

Though 2volts is roughly optimal, you will not see the same "results"

With 12v running through two plates you are going to see a crazy amount of "production" but the majority of that production is steam. By dropping it to 2v you will see ACTUALLY hydroxy production. With that in mind, the difference in output between the two is steam, and if you run the test you will see just how much 12v going through 2 plates is steam!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedomi View Post
    Though 2volts is roughly optimal, you will not see the same "results"

With 12v running through two plates you are going to see a crazy amount of "production" but the majority of that production is steam. By dropping it to 2v you will see ACTUALLY hydroxy production. With that in mind, the difference in output between the two is steam, and if you run the test you will see just how much 12v going through 2 plates is steam!
    Thanks Jed, couldn't have said it better myself
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by 123tim View Post
    Thank you for the help, BioFarmer.

This is exactly why I wanted to experiment and learn before I invested time and money in a dry cell....honestly, I didn't expect to run into so much misinformation from the very start though. I'm glad that I found this forum.

There sure a lot of people making 2 plate, 12 volt systems.

At least I have something to show for my work so far....a 24v hho coffee maker.

Could I ask another question?

If I were to drop my voltage to 2 volts and leave everything else the same, would I produce as much (or close to as much) hho with 2 volts as I do with 24? Just a lot less heat?
    Hey Tim,
    No worries- you're still ahead of the curve, man- EVERYBODY likes coffee!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]