Thread: need an idiots guide for wiring

need an idiots guide for wiring

Would like to know the best source for power when car is turned on. My supplier suggests solenoid at the starter. Can I use one of the electrical quick connects to tap this power?

Othert suggestions? Thanks

I usually look for one in the power distribution ot the fuse box, some have used the "oil pressure" switch but hard to get to on most cars and truck. On several the windshield motor is only hot when the ignition is on. Stay away fron any sensors even though they have 5V running through them.

Quote Originally Posted by koya1893 View Post
    Stay away fron any sensors even though they have 5V running through them.
    Hi koya1893,

Why ?

Quote Originally Posted by Quebecker View Post
    Hi koya1893,

Why ?
    The voltage to most of the sensors are controlled by the ECU, if by any chance when you are trying to probe them and accidently reverse any voltage to them you will burn your ECU. How do I know, a client did and the only way I could help him was show me which one he tried to tapped into.

Just pretend you are trying to find a power source for you stereo (hot wire when the ignition is on)and look in the fuse box.

Quote Originally Posted by koya1893 View Post
    The voltage to most of the sensors are controlled by the ECU, if by any chance when you are trying to probe them and accidently reverse any voltage to them you will burn your ECU. How do I know, a client did and the only way I could help him was show me which one he tried to tapped into.

Just pretend you are trying to find a power source for you stereo (hot wire when the ignition is on)and look in the fuse box.
    Thanks
    Small detail not to overlook