Thread: Electrical wiring Review please!

Electrical wiring Review please!

I bought a system from an Ebay Seller, but I really am not crazy about his electrical wiring directions. Hopefully my attachement is with this message.
    I have drawn out what I think should be the wiring.

I left blank spaces for the "gauge size" of the wiring.
    Can an experienced person Please review?

I wanna get this right the first time.

Thanks,
    Gary

It looks good. The switch to turn on the relay for the PMW, I just looked for something in the fuse box that turned on when the car starts up.

Gary,

That's a nice drawing. It shows that you know what you're doing and have a great attitude about "getting it right."

I see two changes I'd recommend. First, because of the pulsing action of the PWM output, you will only get an accurate reading on your amp meter if it is located in one of the input legs of the PWM -- between battery and the PWM feed.

The second is on that PWM battery input feed. You don't show a HD relay in your drawing, but do list one in the parts list. You definitely need to use one. On the relay, there should be two large terminals. One of those goes to battery plus and the other goes to the positive input of the PWM. This line should be fused with a fuse AT LEAST twice as large as the amount of amperage you plan for the system to draw. I like to place my fuse as close to the battery as possible. This line is also where you want to insert your amp meter.

You will also find one or two smaller terminals on the relay. This is for the low amperage connection that will turn the relay on, allowing the main circuit to energize. If there is only one connection, apply 12v positive to it to turn on. If there are two terminals, then one of for 12v positive and the other is for 12v negative.

You should pull the 12 volt positive for this from the "run" side of the ignition switch. You can probably, as Jeff said, find somewhere in the fuse box to tap into this circuit instead of physically connecting to the ignition switch, but just make sure it is only powered when the switch is in the "RUN" position. DO NOT use one that is powered when the switch is in the "accessory" position. If you want a toggle switch on the dash so you can shut the system off manually, the switch would go in this line, not the main power cable.

As for wire size, that depends entirely on what amperage you intend for you system to operate. Provide me with that information and I'll look up the proper wire size in the chart.

Hope this helps,

Steve
    1991 Plymouth Acclaim 3L V6.
    1 dry cells with nineteen 6"x8" 316L ss plates, driven by constant current PWM set at 35 amps (13.3V at PWM). 28% KOH electrolyte. Total measured output 2.5 lpm. Mileage went from 18 to 26 mpg, all city driving (44% increase). EFIE set at .370 and I still need to play with ignition timing.

Quote Originally Posted by DJLapri View Post
    I bought a system from an Ebay Seller, but I really am not crazy about his electrical wiring directions. Hopefully my attachement is with this message.
    I have drawn out what I think should be the wiring.

I left blank spaces for the "gauge size" of the wiring.
    Can an experienced person Please review?

I wanna get this right the first time.

Thanks,
    Gary
    Correct wire size will vary with load and length of circuit. You can use this chart- [URL="http://www.utopiantreasures.com/wiretable.html"], but I think 14awg copper will work for what you will be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by astrocady View Post
    Gary,

That's a nice drawing. It shows that you know what you're doing and have a great attitude about "getting it right."

I see two changes I'd recommend. First, because of the pulsing action of the PWM output, you will only get an accurate reading on your amp meter if it is located in one of the input legs of the PWM -- between battery and the PWM feed.

The second is on that PWM battery input feed. You don't show a HD relay in your drawing, but do list one in the parts list. You definitely need to use one. On the relay, there should be two large terminals. One of those goes to battery plus and the other goes to the positive input of the PWM. This line should be fused with a fuse AT LEAST twice as large as the amount of amperage you plan for the system to draw. I like to place my fuse as close to the battery as possible. This line is also where you want to insert your amp meter.

You will also find one or two smaller terminals on the relay. This is for the low amperage connection that will turn the relay on, allowing the main circuit to energize. If there is only one connection, apply 12v positive to it to turn on. If there are two terminals, then one of for 12v positive and the other is for 12v negative.

You should pull the 12 volt positive for this from the "run" side of the ignition switch. You can probably, as Jeff said, find somewhere in the fuse box to tap into this circuit instead of physically connecting to the ignition switch, but just make sure it is only powered when the switch is in the "RUN" position. DO NOT use one that is powered when the switch is in the "accessory" position. If you want a toggle switch on the dash so you can shut the system off manually, the switch would go in this line, not the main power cable.

As for wire size, that depends entirely on what amperage you intend for you system to operate. Provide me with that information and I'll look up the proper wire size in the chart.

Hope this helps,

Steve
    HI Steve, thank you for the reply,
    Can't believe I forgot to represent the Relay, that is actually what created a lot of my uncertainty in the wiring. What I was provided seems to differ from what I read at the HHO2u web site. I am sending you a PM with the link to the system I purchased, which may supply you with what Amperage I may need. I will also attach his wiring diagram, which differs from what you said to do, notably as to where to place the Amp meter.

I do not want to post this information publicly until I know it's correct.

Guess I can't add attachement to a PM, here is the wire diagram as provided.

I question the location of the Amp Meter and the fuses shown.
    Not sure how important the color of the wiring is coming from the Relay, but it is wired like this.
    86 - Black
    87 - Yellow
    85- White
    30/51 - Blue

a Red wire is located from the center of the Relay.

This wiring is the only thing keeing me from completing my system. Very anxious to get up and running ASAP.

Thank you all for your help

Forgot to attach image

Finally got my system wired and operating. Seems to be plenty of HHO being produced. Filled up my gas tank last night and will begin documenting my MPG.

I drive a 2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3
    I was getting about 17-18mpg highway when I got it.
    I first installed an FS2, my mileage went up to about 19-20 mpg Highway.

I am hoping to see another little increase with the introduction of HHO.

Will post results over the next 1-2 weeks

Thanks again for all the advice I have gotten from various members here