Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No room in front of my car. Where to install my dry-cell ?

Lightbulb No room in front of my car. Where to install my dry-cell ?

Hi,

In my civic Si 2004, I don't have any room in front of my car to install my dry-cell and the reservoir. Unless to remove the battery and move them into the trunk (What would be expensive), I have no room for my equipment.

Do you think it would be possible to install the dry-cell and the reservoir in the trunk while remaining safe ? If so, what precautions should I take?

Thanks in advance

You have to be very creative in some installations. You might have to build your reactor to fit the spot. The best spot is in front of the radiator. Think about 2 small units. (thin) You only need 1 LPM or less. There is always room but you have to think out of the box.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Smile Been There

Quebecker: You are very wise asking for help before getting into a lot of trouble.
    1. You might have room between one of the front wheels and the Bumper. Between the mud shield and the bumper. You can also hang the cell and Reservoir on the frame under the body but you might need to Fab a shelf or basket. If you are using a cell unit that does not have a circulating pump then you will need to be sure the Res. is hung higher than the Cell so the electrolyte will perculate through the system. You can mount it in the trunk and run the HHO through the nest size up tubing. ie: 3/8" up to 1/2"
    2. Be sure and hook your cell power to either the fuel relay or a spot on the fuse block that goes off when you turn the ignition switch off.
    3. If you want any other help post your email address and I will respond to you Happy Motoring

There is often room where you'd least expect it in imports. I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima...and upon looking under the hood the first thought would be "how the hell do you service ANYTHING without pulling the engine?". However, there is often space in front of the radiator as mentioned...but you might want to look right below that INSIDE the bumper. My Maxima has a TON of space in the front bumper and in the fenders in front of the wheel well.

Do some good checking...take the plastic wheel well shields off and see what you find.

Also - installing the battery in the trunk shouldn't be that expensive. I have a dual battery setup in mine. 1 up front and a heavy duty deep cycle in the trunk. All you really need are the wires. 2x 1gauge for the positive and 2x 1 gauge for the negative (1 run up front, one to chasis).

Trunk mounted

Mine is in the trunk. It is not ideal but there are too many other variables to deal with. I run 1/4 copper tubing into the engine compartment. There is a bubbler in the trunk also. Works good so far no problems. I did a smoke test. ( I lit the output tube) The explosion blew the rubber caps off all four cells but nothing worse. You should consider the possibility of an explosion.

also

I considered moving the battery but you need heavy wire and if it should chaff on the metal There would be a high current short circuit. It would probably start a fire and destroy the car. Fuses are not used in starter circuits. On the other hand some cars like Saturn mount batteries in the trunk. Bottom line is be sure wire is well insulated and cannot rub anything.

also2

Here are pictures
    http://www.maverickexperiments.com/h...Generator.html

millage from 30 mpg to 35 mpg

Here is an idea for a battery box configuration that I made a few years ago, if you decide to go with the trunk mounted version. You could do a variation of this without the bubblers and put a small water pump inside the box instead to help with circulation. Put one of those big green flashback arrestors outside the box and send the line to your bubblers in the engine compartment under the car.

Quote Originally Posted by thedore View Post
    I considered moving the battery but you need heavy wire and if it should chaff on the metal There would be a high current short circuit. It would probably start a fire and destroy the car. Fuses are not used in starter circuits. On the other hand some cars like Saturn mount batteries in the trunk. Bottom line is be sure wire is well insulated and cannot rub anything.
    Many BMW's and even Mercedes (can't confirm the mercedes though) also factory install the battery in the trunk.

Check out the paneling on the inside where the factory wire runs are. You shouldn't have any worries of shorts if run through the factory channels, and if you need to pass through firewall or other metal barrier be sure to use rubber grommets.
    On my Maxima there are channels on both the driver and passenger sides, you just need to take the molding off to get to them. The manufacturers use what size cable they can get by with...which usually leaves a decent amount of room to run other cabling if needed. Civic's are pretty small though - probably not the same cable space as a Maxima.

You *COULD* always run the cables under the car back to the trunk - just be sure to protect them with conduit of some sort (readily available from just about any hardware store).

Quote Originally Posted by hhoconnection View Post
    ......Put one of those big green flashback arrestors o .....

Hi,

Which one ?

Thanks