Thread: % NaOH, Methanol vs AMP ???

% NaOH, Methanol vs AMP ???

Hi,

Here is my setup

16 plates "THE LIBERATOR" Dry-cell (-NNNN+NNNN-NNNN+ not sure)
    316SS 6"*6" plates
    EPDM Gasket 3/32" (0.090")
    Sold for a production of 8.35MMW
    3/8" ID Nylon tubing
    CCPWM
    Switch, Relay, fuses,..........
    Electrolyte: NaoH

My need is to to produce app. 0.8 LPM (1.7 liters V-TEC engine)

In order to use the minimum amount of amperage and ensure winter protection against freezing, I wonder if I have to use a maximum concentration of NaOH (20%) with little methyl alcohol or a concentration minimum NaOH with a lot of methyl alcohol?

I live in Canada and the minimum winter temperatures are around -20 ° C . At night my car si in the garage

Thanks in advance to all expert

Slow but sure

I am no expert but I would use 20% NaOH, no alcohol, and if that is not enough then add a small heater in the trunk and plug it in at night on a timmer. There is many small heaters made to plug in at night. I use one when I park out side in -40º F to keep the glue on the wood paneling from coming unglued. Alcohol in the reactor disappears very quickly and is not much use. The bubbler is where you will have a much bigger problem. The reactor at 20% NaOH at -20º C for a few hours just gets slushy at the worst and when turned on takes only about 5 to 10 minutes max to be normal in most reactors and a lot less is some.

The bubbler solution is a harder one. I am still testing an oil based liquid for the bubbler but do not have the final testing done yet, but it should be good to -30º C or colder. Alcohol in the bubbler helps but requires daily checking in cold weather because it gets used up.

Is your garage heated? If so your problem will only be when parked outside for a long time.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Quote Originally Posted by myoldyourgold View Post
    I am no expert but I would use 20% NaOH, no alcohol, and if that is not enough then add a small heater in the trunk and plug it in at night on a timmer. There is many small heaters made to plug in at night. I use one when I park out side in -40º F to keep the glue on the wood paneling from coming unglued. Alcohol in the reactor disappears very quickly and is not much use. The bubbler is where you will have a much bigger problem. The reactor at 20% NaOH at -20º C for a few hours just gets slushy at the worst and when turned on takes only about 5 to 10 minutes max to be normal in most reactors and a lot less is some.

The bubbler solution is a harder one. I am still testing an oil based liquid for the bubbler but do not have the final testing done yet, but it should be good to -30º C or colder. Alcohol in the bubbler helps but requires daily checking in cold weather because it gets used up.

Is your garage heated? If so your problem will only be when parked outside for a long time.
    Great
    And what is the impact on the required amperage ?

And what is the impact on the required amperage ?
    If by this you mean by adding alcohol to the electrolyte then it will lower the amperage. Most alcohol is about 30% water or even more. I see no value in adding it to the electrolyte in fact just the opposite. Alcohol is so close to being neutral (neither base or acid) it will dilute the electrolyte like adding water which it has a lot of too.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .