HELP with my setup please

HI,

Here is my setup "configuration test"

1 dry-cell "The Liberator Industries"
    16 plates approx. 6" * 6" , SS316 --> -NNNN+NNNN-NNNN+
    Gasket 3/32" epdm
    Production claimed by the seller: 8.35 MMW

My electrolyse is: 10 % NaOH by mass
    300g NaOH (9 Tbsp) and 2700 ml distilled water ("boiling")

Voltage: From 12.4 to 14.2 volts (from my car battery)
    Voltage between each plate: approx. 2.81 volts

Bubbler: water

With this setup, my production is just 0.5 LPM and the amp reached to 25-27 amp

What's wrong ?

Thanks in advance

Q-
    Call Liberator and ask them to send you six more neutral plates and gaskets, put two of them in each stack. NaOH is 200 grams for 800ml of distilled water. Are your plates sand blasted? If not, then get it done, clean and passivate them (research recent posts). I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the resulting increase in production..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Quebecker View Post
    HI,
    Production claimed by the seller: 8.35 MMW
    AHHHHHHHHHHH! This drives me crazy! I'm sorry for the rant, I don't know what is wrong with your cell but I do know that to advertise 8.35 MMW is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BioFarmer93 View Post
    Q-
    Call Liberator and ask them to send you six more neutral plates and gaskets, put two of them in each stack. NaOH is 200 grams for 800ml of distilled water. Are your plates sand blasted? If not, then get it done, clean and passivate them (research recent posts). I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the resulting increase in production..
    Hi BioFarmer93,

Considering that I only need a production of about 0.7 LPM, would it not be better to remove a positive plate and opt for this configuration:
    -NNNNNN+NNNNNN- ?

I will continue my research on the forum to learn how sanding, cleaning and conditioning my plate. Too bad there is a HOW TO documents

Thank you very much

After thinking about this again, the only thing I can think of is that your plates are either gunked up or coated with something. After all, you are pulling amps at least. I think if you do like Biofamer said and reconfigure to 6 neutrals like you mentioned it should work fine. What kind of how-to documents are you looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by hhoconnection View Post
    After thinking about this again, the only thing I can think of is that your plates are either gunked up or coated with something. After all, you are pulling amps at least. I think if you do like Biofamer said and reconfigure to 6 neutrals like you mentioned it should work fine. What kind of how-to documents are you looking for?

HOW-TO MediaBlasting (or Paper Sanding), clearing and conditioning ....

Hi,

I did my homework and I read various threads on sanding, cleaning and conditioning my plates but I have some questions...

1- I don't have access to equipment to media-blast my plate, so can I use sand paper and if so, what grain size and type of paper ?

2- What do say "Staggered the holes" ?

Best Regards

Q,
    We really try to get people to find a way to get their plates media blasted these days because it's just so much more efficient. Most metal working shops do it and a few paint shops do it. If you have a small compressor you can make your own out of stuff in your garage... But, if it really is that big a problem then use coarse emery cloth on an orbital sander and spend about 5 minutes a side on each plate. It will not create the extra surface area that media blasting will, but it will help. Staggering the holes means right-left-right-left-right-left as you progress from plate to plate. If all of your holes are already centered on the plates then it is too late. Sand the area around the holes very well and brush on 3 coats of Weldon-16 in an 13mm wide perimeter band around each hole and inside the hole. Let it dry at least two hours before re-coating. This will cause the path of least resistance to be from plate face to plate face rather than from the near and far faces of the same plate, or skipping plates by traveling through the holes from one end of the reactor to the other.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you very much BioFarmer93

For Media-Blasting, I know a car body shop, maybe he will want to sand my plate .... Should I ask him something special: the media size, time of sanding, angle of attack, manipulation after sanding, ....?

Thank in advance

Talking

just like everybody said, 6N is way better than 4N plus it would be nice if you would seal the holes in the plates or don't allow the electrolyte to pass through the plates and touch and edges

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAnDjx2dWrM

6N is way way more efficient. and no edge or holes is even more efficient