Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Cooling

Water Cooling

Hi All!

I have just been thinking for a while to move the cell from down engine's compartment to the boot, and one of the worst problems I will face is about dry cell heating/cooling. As in the engine's front compartment, next to the left front wheel, there is a airflow that helps to keep the plates in a working temp and there is no airflow in the boot, I was thinking about to submerge the cell in full distilled water and move the water using an small pump, and setting a watercooled pc radiator and a fan.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks and regards!

I wouldn't used distilled. Could get contaminated really easily in a car environment...for that matter....unless the cooling system is dis-infected and sealed up tight as possible...any coolant will get contaminated eventually. If this "contaminated" coolant comes in contact with the plates it could create shorts and drop production.

I've seen people submerse entire computer systems (except for drives of course) into some sort of oil (vegetable maybe?) for cooling.

Could you not modify the boot for airflow? Maybe a 'ram air' type of duct which takes air from near the air dam on the bottom of the car and re-routes it to the cell? I'm not exactly sure what area you mean by the 'boot'.

A simple fan wouldn't cut it?? Not trying to knock down your watercooling idea, I think it's perfectly feasible given you cover all the bases for sealing the entire system to prevent any contamination.

Quote Originally Posted by nst6563 View Post
    I wouldn't used distilled. Could get contaminated really easily in a car environment...for that matter....unless the cooling system is dis-infected and sealed up tight as possible...any coolant will get contaminated eventually. If this "contaminated" coolant comes in contact with the plates it could create shorts and drop production.

I've seen people submerse entire computer systems (except for drives of course) into some sort of oil (vegetable maybe?) for cooling.

Could you not modify the boot for airflow? Maybe a 'ram air' type of duct which takes air from near the air dam on the bottom of the car and re-routes it to the cell? I'm not exactly sure what area you mean by the 'boot'.

A simple fan wouldn't cut it?? Not trying to knock down your watercooling idea, I think it's perfectly feasible given you cover all the bases for sealing the entire system to prevent any contamination.
    No, it is mineral, and it is baby oil. But I don't know if leaks can be worst in oil is used as coolant mixed with KOH.

I can recall I saw this video you are talking about once

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M80eUcUVrmw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M80eUcUVrmw

Using distilled is for allow me using, precisely, radiators for watercooled pcs. As oil is more dense, I don't know what harm can make in an aluminium radiator, and the pump should be more powerful because of the density.

The big issue is, as you say, making a perfect joint/seal for avoid contamination and avoiding conductivity because . As my target is to keep 55ÂșC, I guess that distilled water is enough. Maybe acrylic and its chemical welding for creating a perfect casing is the solution...

Modifying the airflow for the boot is a difficult enterprise, much than expected. The most feasible workaround is to modify the air conducts from car's ventilation for it, but this is only addressable for summer, as in winter I will be pouring heating to it and will have side effects.

Thanks for the feedback.

you may have a pressure issue when you move it to the boot, i find the shorter the pipes the better, unless you use a pump. i try to get cell between grille and radiator at the front of the car, and the water tank away from the exhaust.
    with twice yearly wash outs my cell stays fairly clean using spring water,-would think distilled should be ok too, but others may have different ideas, best of luck anyway

now i see its wet cell...change to dry cell :-)

It's an interesting endeavor - I've often contemplated watercooling my PC, actually started to get the components together and then had to focus elsewhere. I still got a Q9550 to 3.6Ghz on air so I was happy enough

I think acrylic would be the way to go for a perfectly sealed environment. If using distilled, maybe expose the flow with high intensity UV to kill off anything biological that could grow (which in a perfect sealed system you shouldn't have to worry )

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    now i see its wet cell...change to dry cell :-)
    Not necesarilly, not all contact surface will be required for gas production, the current will enter by the plates by contact by the exterior of the cell and electrodes will not be in contact with the fluid, and plates will be sealed. It's a dry cell, but cooled by water/non conductive fluid instead of air.

Maybe a 12cm computer fan will fix this without so many changes but it's a good idea that might work...

My current cell is a dry cell, and foreseing my development might have sense this move...

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    you may have a pressure issue when you move it to the boot, i find the shorter the pipes the better, unless you use a pump. i try to get cell between grille and radiator at the front of the car, and the water tank away from the exhaust.
    with twice yearly wash outs my cell stays fairly clean using spring water,-would think distilled should be ok too, but others may have different ideas, best of luck anyway
    I agree the pressure issue but will last short, until the gas reaches the admission. My plan is move cell, water reservoir an bubbler to the boot and install a rubber pipe to admission. Will take longer to reach The admission but will reach eventually.

You know what I'm pushing for? Clean renewable energy NOT dirty fossil fuels

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpeters View Post
    You know what I'm pushing for? Clean renewable energy NOT dirty fossil fuels
    Mosto of us are here for the same, but some changes take some time, like evolution of species....it's a slow pace but constant ....

Maybe the less painful way to reach B from A is across C.... :-)