Thread: Koh electrolyte formula needed

Koh electrolyte formula needed

Hello ,
    I am new to the forum and just purchased a vehicle
    with a HHO cell with 21 plates of 318L stainless steel installed but no electrolyte .
    I bought KOH flakes and was wondering what would be the ratio of
    water to KOH.
    How much distilled water(oz) to how much KOH (oz) for the
    best result ?
    Any advice or recommendation?

Thanks in advance!

If you are running with a PWM, you can mix it 28% volume, I have not used this mixture, hence I am not a good source for the formula. If you are running brute force, start with 10 tablespoon per 1 qt. of distilled water. that should be around 1lb. per 1 gl. of water. Then if the amps usage is not high enough to your liking, add a little KOH until you get the amps you are looking for.

I just tried 2Tbsp in 1 quart of distilled water and I was getting 24-25 Amps.
    Is that good enough? Does it matter the number of the plates the cell was made?
    Because mine has 21 plates?
    Thanks!

Yes, the plate configuration is critical. If your cell is using that much amps that means you need more bipolar plates (N) I would start with something like this. +NNNNN-NNNNN+NNNNN-

Here is the update.Finally I got it to around 15 Amps. but the solution had to be
    1tsp of Koh to 1 quart of distilled water.
    Also, I am not sure if my system has the PWM.Only what I can see is a some
    kind of relay mounted .
    Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    Should I buy another cell? Here is one from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_3757wt_1165

You haven't got a PWM, just the electrolyser, so you have to control the current flow by altering the amount of KOH, just as you already seem to be doing.

Out of curiousity, how much does distilled water cost? Is it actually distilled water or the de-ionized water they sell at Motor Factors for topping up batteries?
    Farrah

It's what you learn after you think you know it all that really counts!

Out of curiousity, how much does distilled water cost?
    Farrah, I pay 48 cents US a gallon and then run it through my own distiller which has a 5 gallon stainless steel holding tank. I end up with DD water (double distilled) You would be surprised at how much junk comes out of it. Distilled water works like a sponge and stored in cheap plastic containers leaches all kinds of nasties out of the plastic over time which effect the performance of the reactor.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Well..I actually use RO(Reverse Osmosis) which should be even cleaner than the
    distilled water.

Well..I actually use RO(Reverse Osmosis) which should be even cleaner than the distilled water.
    Well, maybe the first time you run it through but even that is debatable. After that, each pass it is something less than the first time until you have to change the filter. A distiller would be the same if you do not clean it out each time.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .