Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '96 Crown Vic or '05 Nissan Frontier..Which to use as test vehicle?

'96 Crown Vic or '05 Nissan Frontier..Which to use as test vehicle?

Any suggestions/HHO attempts with either vehicle will be greatly appreciated.

I built a dry cell putting out about 2 LPM, I am anxious to install in a vehicle but need help deciding which car to use. I have a '96 Crown Vic 4.6L
    V8 (automatic trans, 2 narrowband O2 sensors) and an '05 Nissan Frontier 2.5L 4 Cyl (manual trans, 1 wideband and 1 narrowband O2 sensor). I plan on installing a system on both vehicles eventually, provided I get noticable gains on my test vehicle first.

I would like to know which car would be easiest/cheapest to attain a MPG increase, and with what MODS (EFIE, MAP/MAF, etc...)

Thank You in advance for any help.

I would think the Crown Vic would be cheaper/easier to install a system on. Not only might there be more room in the Crown Vic (at least if your '05 Frontier is anything like my '04 Maxima) but the computer in it may not be as finicky and the wiring may be less complicated.

X2 on the Vicky, probably see the most gains on her also...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You'll get a good result from the Crown Vic, you will need an EFIE to control the O2. I recommend getting the "Digital Quad" from Fuel Saver, make contact with Bruce or Mike for the wiring diagram and read up on the installation from their site, additionally review the video Mike put together.
    One wierd thing with the wiring diagram for this late models. The wires are all the same color from the O2 to the connon plug. from the cannon plug to the ECU they are different, those are the wires you want to focus on. You'll need to expose the wire buddle further down the line so the true color of the wires are exposed (faded).

This 4.6l like to run lean, the Ford truck with the same motor I installed a system on ran great with the EFIE set at 300mv for the front and 200mv for the post cat O2. If the crown vic has a lot miles on it, give it several tank full before you see it re-act to the HHO. DO NOT MAKE TOO MANY ADJUSTEMENT from start let the system settle. Also, I recommend clearing the ECU from the start once you fire up the system. So disconnect the Neg batt cable to clear ECU.

For you system, you need to have a 1 gl reservoir capacity at the min, if not bigger.

Your Nissan is about the same, less wires to hunt down and the EFIE for it will be easy to control and you will see at the min 30% increase. I am going by a 1998 3.0 on the Infiniti I worked with. The big problem with that car was locating space for the reservoir to carry 1 gl. Had to go with a remote system.

the nissan would be the best with a SAFC2 installed and re-tuned to run lean based on the additional power gained from the added HHO.

my Yukon with VAFC1 installed is now up to 25MPG from 12MPG

Thanks for all the info/suggestions, but I am confused on one item. What is a SAFC2???

ww.alamomotorsports.com/apexi/safc.html
    Basically something that adjusts the MAF readings to fool the ECU into feeding more or less fuel. To make it really really simple, you're changing the voltage being sent to the ECU to adjust fuel ratios.

Either vehicle you'll likely need an EFIE or other form of modification - but I still vote for the vic. Hell, if anything see which one has more room to play in. My Maxima is no fun, I think it was designed and built to be worked on by Smurfs.

Quote Originally Posted by ultra_efficient View Post
    the nissan would be the best with a SAFC2 installed and re-tuned to run lean based on the additional power gained from the added HHO.

my Yukon with VAFC1 installed is now up to 25MPG from 12MPG
    Richard,
    I don't mean to Hi-Jack this thread, can you share some of the key parameters/setting on the AFC installed on the Yukon. I am trying a new system aside the Apex AFC.

Quote Originally Posted by nst6563 View Post
    ww.alamomotorsports.com/apexi/safc.html
    Basically something that adjusts the MAF readings to fool the ECU into feeding more or less fuel. To make it really really simple, you're changing the voltage being sent to the ECU to adjust fuel ratios.

Either vehicle you'll likely need an EFIE or other form of modification - but I still vote for the vic. Hell, if anything see which one has more room to play in. My Maxima is no fun, I think it was designed and built to be worked on by Smurfs.
    i have done a Maxima before with a VAFC1 installed

Quote Originally Posted by koya1893 View Post
    Richard,
    I don't mean to Hi-Jack this thread, can you share some of the key parameters/setting on the AFC installed on the Yukon. I am trying a new system aside the Apex AFC.
    low throttle 0% to 30%, high 30% to 40% to get it to fade quickly from low to high, that way if you have to accelerate quickly the settings will change quick.

low setting is as follows 0RPM to 1000RPM or idle is set at low TP -30%, 1100RPM to 2000RPM -20% because that is where fuel is mostly needed for taking off ect. 2000RPM to 3000RPM back to -30%, 3000RPM to 4000RPM -35%, everything higher is set at fuel cut -50%

high settings is set at 1000RPM to 3000RPM -15, everything thing higher is set at -20%.

later when i get back to the states i will tune with a MAP controlled PWM for optimal efficiency.