Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaks for Weeks

Leaks for Weeks

Hey Guys,

Having a depressing time on my reactor. I am unable to stop it from leaking!

I have some pictures of where and how it's leaking, bear in mind the white fuzz is dryed NaoH.
    **BOTTOM**

**BOTTOM

**TOP CORNER**

**TOP CORNER**

Anyone have any suggestions? Should i just skrew down my bolts tighter?

Yes, tighten all the bolts- but see if you can use a torque wrench to do it and establish the same torque on every bolt. Also, wash that NaOH powder off of the outside- because any time it gets damp it is making an electrical path.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

By any chance did you assemble this cell while either the plates or gaskets (or both) were still wet? I know the only time I have ever had leaks when was I had taken a cell apart, cleaned the plates and gaskets, and then re-assembled the cell before drying everything well. I would be willing to bet that if you tore it down, cleaned and dried everything real good, and re-assembled, everything would be OK. Just a guess.

I am sure initially the cell did not leak, but after being ran for hours or several hundred of miles it started to leak. Common, this is because the gasket you used is settling in, meaning at the time the cell was being assembled all the bolts were tight, but after awhile the gasket will get compressed hence the bolts needs to be tighten. I make it a routine practice after I ran the cell on my test stand the bolts (in my case the screws are re-tighten). As the cell warms up you can get a turn or two from the bolts until they are tight and yes a Q-wrench is ideal to have and do a final check of all the bolts are at the same Q.

You also might want to re-check the cell after several hundred of miles, I instruct my clients to bring back the car or truck after 500 miles for the initial check up, and those who installed their own system. They are instructed to do an initial flush, which include tightening the bolts and draining and reservicing the system. During the 500 miles the solution will get some brown deposit from the plates being clean from the actual amperage the vehicle is using.

I am sure that's more than you asked for but, it all ties together.

One things I noticed just from the corner photo, you might need more bolts spacing around 1 1/2 inch.

There are a number solutions for your problems:

1. Add more bolts. Based on the picture there is to few bolts when tightened the end plate will not be tightened equally all around the edge but will get a slight bow in it.

2. Add a stiffener on the end plate made of stainless or powder coated MS.

3. Add springs to the the bolts strong enough to maintain the torque when gaskets compress.

4. Use a torque wrench to tighten all bolts equally.

Here is a sample
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Sweet deal, lots of things to try.

Just to add detail to it, i've never actually had this cell running for more than 20 minutes. i have discovered that most of my leaks are from the hose connections... going to throw on some more epoxy... I will see if i can make a video tomorrow showing off my entire cell design just to eliminate any other possibilities.

Thanks for the input guys

I've also had problems with the cell leaking. It didn't initially, however after a disassemble and re-assemble I've gotten a leak in 1 spot that I can't seem to fix. It only leaks when there is pressure in the system (ie, plug the output hole with your finger). I'll be addressing that after this next 72hour run is complete.

As for your fittings leaking - I also had that issue. Used teflon tape, caulk, epoxy, acrylic resin, etc. Finally fixed it by using plastic welding on the fittings. Haven't had a problem since with the fittings. Might try that if you continue to have problems.

Here's the video as promised!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-TCslHLRn0

After reviewing your video and again your photo, the other problem might be conributing to your leak is the DuroMeter rating of your gasket and the thickness of the end plate gasket. Note how portion of the gasket is more compressed than other area, yes that could be from lack of evenly spaced bolts. On my 3" X 5.5" cell the bolts on the top and bottom are 1" from the ends, bolt on the side are 1" from the center of the end plate.

If your DuroMeter rating of your gasket is low 40-50 you end up creating a gap from the area being compressed too tight when your bolts are spread apart.

Also, if your fittings are leaking it could mean you used the wrong size drill bit for the 1/4 X 1/14 MPT fitting you are using. Yes the fitting is 1/2 with 1/4 pitch thread. you need to drill the hole smaller than the recommended drill size for the size tap. I've used 7/16 drill bit for this fitting. It is harder to tap initially but once you work the tap and get a good thread pattern the fitting will start easy and thread all the way with the assistance of a wrench. Adding thread tape on the fitting thread will help screwing the fitting on the end plate. In the end you will have a tight fit on the fitting with the thread tape it will seal it even more.

I have found that 1/2 wide gaskets work much better than anything smaller. Make sure you clean your gaskets very well so there is no dried electrolyte on them when you put it back together too.

I would also suggest you increase the output port hole size. It needs to be bigger than the input port.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .