Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What wrong with my reactor :-(

Unhappy What wrong with my reactor :-(

Hi,

Could you help me please and give me your opinion !!!!

I followed all the advice I was recommended

reactor with 2 stacks (-NNNNNN+NNNNNN-)
    my plates are SS316L and media blasted
    the holes (input and output) are insulates with "red super glue" (something like crazy glue)
    plates were clean with aceton, passivate with citric acid (10%) and always handle with glove

This picture is from spare plate

Active area with gasket and insulate: ± 17.5 square inches

Each endplate have 1 input hole and 1 output hole - Endplate are in EPDM 1/2"

Electrolyte 18% -> distilled water "by steam" with NaOH

Test #1 (with power supply)
    My voltage is: 11.43 volts (1.77 volts per cell - each individually measured)

When I start the reactor, the production is very minimal. Just a bubble by two seconds for 15 - 20 secondes. Suddenly, the production becomes hyperactive "wow!" for 3-4 seconds and then everything returns as originally for 15-20 seconds.

Here is a video of the poor production
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gnxgiOi_Ns

Test #2 (with my car)
    My voltage is: 14.3 volts (2 volts per cell - each individually measured)

When I start the reactor, the production is minimal. 1 or 2 bubbles by second. Suddenly, the production becomes hyperactive "wow! really impressive" for 4-5 seconds and then everything returns as originally.

IMPORTANT
    1) I have reversed the position of the central plate "+". So the input hole of the central plate is to left in contrast to all other plates that the inputs holes are to the right.
    2) In my plates, the input hole are in the right side (bottom) and in my endplates, the input holes are in the center (bottow also) "see video"

What wrong ??

The product I use for insulte the hole ?
    The orientation of my centrale plate (+) ?
    Me ?

Could you help me, I am desperate

Thank in advance

When I start the reactor, the production is minimal. 1 or 2 bubbles by second. Suddenly, the production becomes hyperactive "wow! really impressive" for 4-5 seconds and then everything returns as originally.
    I suspect your biggest problem is the slip on connections. Soon after it starts to draw some amps one or more of the connections are loosening up. You really need to have a bolt on connection. Try pinching the connections with pliers when they are connected. Check if there is a hot one. It only takes one loose connection. I have no faith in the that type of connector especially when the spade is tapered like yours.

The other problem I see is that you are running in a flooded condition all the time. This could be a result of a loose connection though and not enough time for the gas to build any pressure on top. The color of the plate is good and even. I would have insulated a little more around the holes. Half inch around the hole is good.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

I'll check it tonight

One thing I forgot to mention, the amperage is still low (only 2-3 amps). Does it can make a better picture of the problem ?

I've just re-assembled my cell Friday afternoon and it's been running constant ever since. I've only been putting 2A-3A through it and I've been getting easily at least twice that.

After listening to myoldyourgold's advice he's given me, I'd have to agree on what he suggested. You're plates are huge compared to mine (I have 3"x5" with 1/4" gaskets) so I would think you should be getting more production than mine.

If all else fails, try soldering those crimp connectors to the wires themselves. If that doesn't help, try soldering the connector to the plates.

This afternoon, during my lunch time, I make some verifications....

- During the night, the electrolyte become yellow/brown ...

- I have pinching the connections with pliers when they are connected.

- I have check my wires and no one is hot.

- I removed all the wires that could be problematic and I used the bare minimum of wiring.

Always the same result ....
    It seems that the liquid want not circulate

This afternoon, during my lunch time, I make some verifications....

- During the night, the electrolyte become yellow/brown ...

- I have pinching the connections with pliers when they are connected.

- I have check my wires and no one is hot.

- I removed all the wires that could be problematic and I used the bare minimum of wiring.

Always the same result ....
    It seems that the liquid want not circulate
    It is hard to give you an accurate solution to your problem without all the information and not being there to make some tests.

If you think there is no circulation this could be a problem. Please let me know exactly how your reactor is set up. Number of plates, where the holes are located, what type of end plates and where the input ports and exit ports are located on the end plate. Is this how your setup is. -nnnnn+nnnnn- or ?

You can check for blockages in the system by blowing in the input port on one side and plugging the exit on the same (if you have exit ports on both sides) side to see if makes it all the way through. If you have the center plate with no holes then you will need to disassemble to check for a blockage.

The plate pictured shows that everything is working OK. Which plate in the reactor is this picture of?

Have you checked to see that all plates are getting the same voltage? You might have a short somewhere. Check each pair to make sure there is no short.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Quote Originally Posted by myoldyourgold View Post
    It is hard to give you an accurate solution to your problem without all the information and not being there to make some tests.

If you think there is no circulation this could be a problem. Please let me know exactly how your reactor is set up. Number of plates, where the holes are located, what type of end plates and where the input ports and exit ports are located on the end plate. Is this how your setup is. -nnnnn+nnnnn- or ?

You can check for blockages in the system by blowing in the input port on one side and plugging the exit on the same (if you have exit ports on both sides) side to see if makes it all the way through. If you have the center plate with no holes then you will need to disassemble to check for a blockage.

The plate pictured shows that everything is working OK. Which plate in the reactor is this picture of?

Have you checked to see that all plates are getting the same voltage? You might have a short somewhere. Check each pair to make sure there is no short.
    Hi
    I just added the missing information in my initial post

take care to the RED sections, it's perhab my problem !!!!

One thing that I haven't noticed being mentioned is the electrolyte.
    KOH or NaOh and what concentration? If it's weak, it's not gonna draw amps and it sure s hell won't produce.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by lhazleton View Post
    One thing that I haven't noticed being mentioned is the electrolyte.
    KOH or NaOh and what concentration? If it's weak, it's not gonna draw amps and it sure s hell won't produce.
    NaOH - 18%
    Distilled Water

Try raising the concentration & see if it helps.
    I personally use 28% KOH only, so I'm not sure of the optimum amount for NaOH.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php