Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is a good electrolight??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

what is a good electrolight??

will drano work or no?? if so what is a good electrolight?? sorry if i am spelling that wrong

Good electrolyte
    ===========

NaOH - hydroxyde sodium
    KOH - hydroxyde potassium

I think that Drano is not 100% NaOH

By

I am sure several "mentors" will recommend KOH. But after thousands of miles testing with NaOH and the availability of it. I prefer NaOH, start with 1lb. per 1 gl of distilled water. However, in order to keep your solution clear, you need to have a min 1.5 gl. reservoir, plus the system will remain cool, even after 4 hours.

Electrolyte

D&N Automotive Engineering has an excellent electrolyte called E-22, which is a blend of KOH, NaOH, and Citric Acid which helps eliminate foam. I believe if you look on ebay you'll find it.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrofuelsys View Post
    D&N Automotive Engineering has an excellent electrolyte called E-22, which is a blend of KOH, NaOH, and Citric Acid which helps eliminate foam. I believe if you look on ebay you'll find it.
    Now this one makes no sense at all. KOH or NaOH are fine, but since they're both bases, adding citric acid would only neutralize them. It's like mixing baking soda and vinegar.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

Potassium Carbonate as electrolyte

I have been testing several different cells for the past few years and even built my own. I am now using Potassium carbonate as an electrolyte as it is more alkali, less abrasive and softer to the touch( dont need gloves!) It works just as well and the cells don't warm up as others do. 3 tee spoons per liter does the trick. Any comments welcomne

Quote Originally Posted by jlehr25 View Post
    will drano work or no?? if so what is a good electrolight?? sorry if i am spelling that wrong
    The best is "KOH"
    it will not consume with hho use

But the reality is that "tap water" without anything is the ideal

Quote Originally Posted by jim131 View Post
    The best is "KOH"
    it will not consume with hho use

But the reality is that "tap water" without anything is the ideal
    And how do you know this? Ideal for what?

KOH vs "ideal" tapwater

I'd be willing to venture a guess that he's saying the BEST scenario of all would be a cell that needed NO electrolyte. It's possible, but not efficient, it would require a lot more electricity to run otherwise.

There is a product thats like drano but is 100% lye (NaOH). Ive used it and havent had a problem with foam. Its at lowes. Its like salt crystals.