Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: BioBeast Progress...

Well I'm thinking that if this alt. has a separate ground than the the case ground, you would still run it to the neg. post or frame. Unless you are trying to isolate a separate system totally? If so you will not be able to use the regulator for the truck if it's running the truck, you'd need a second regulator for the isolated system! You could possibly use a blocking diode between the stator wire on the GM alt. to prevent back charge or drain, but I'm not sure that will convert. You may be stuck to two systems. I'll work on this in my head for a few.

Can you give me a general idea of your intentions so I can put the system together in my head? Are you running a separate system or the whole truck also off this alt.?
    Its done right or its not done !
    Hail HHO.

Mad,
    I only mentioned the the neg terminal to point out how different it is, it's going to be grounded to the engine & frame in a manner probably superior to the factory's method. -But to my question about the remote voltage sensing wire with a potentiometer- will this work OK, or do think I should just use several feet of say, 16ga. zip tied in a nice neat coil to get a little voltage drop before it goes to the hot terminal on my solenoid? In my studying on this whole fascinating subject of charging system operation, I have read that the GM one wire alts are under performing because the sense wire gets its input straight off of the alternator's pos terminal, not allowing for enough voltage drop to cause the regulator to increase the field strength and put a decent charge out. Anyway, here is what it looks like...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gus, what you use for arrestor? I got some from the states, but they have too match flow restriction, I don't think it's good idea to use them.
    Beast makes a lot of gas, what you do? Thank you.

Here is one to check out. If you read the youtube comments you will see that even multiples of his smaller flashback arrestor was not restricting things that much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=bhc1sptJoVM
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Quote Originally Posted by iger13 View Post
    Gus, what you use for arrestor? I got some from the states, but they have too match flow restriction, I don't think it's good idea to use them.
    Beast makes a lot of gas, what you do? Thank you.
    Igor,
    You probably have noticed that I never speak of arrestors.. The reason is because I do not use them. I do not say they are a bad idea, I just don't see a diesel as needing them. Also, like you, I believe they cause too much back pressure (flow restriction) and would make any tiny leak in the plumbing into something that really loses a lot of gas. To everyone else reading this, USE THEM! (Do as I say, not as I do.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have still to get back to mygold with some exact numbers on this subject. However with vacuum and supply with arrestors, the one I use has been great and once there's a vacuum on it it performs without restriction. It does have a restriction if there's no vacuum or pressure. Granted it takes some considerable pressure without the vacuum. BUT it still works very well.
    Hail HHO.

Bio;

This alt. seems to be nothing out of the ordinary other then the ground, which isn't abnormal. Just ground it close to or on what your running with it ! It's a high amp welding alt for continuous duty high amp pull. You could run an inverter off that without trouble all day long. THAT opens up a ton off options if you want to go to ac output.
    Hail HHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Madsceintist View Post
    Bio;

This alt. seems to be nothing out of the ordinary other then the ground, which isn't abnormal. Just ground it close to or on what your running with it ! It's a high amp welding alt for continuous duty high amp pull. You could run an inverter off that without trouble all day long. THAT opens up a ton off options if you want to go to ac output.
    Thanks Mad-
    I had pretty much come to that conclusion, but wanted to bounce the idea off of someone with a hands-on knowledge of the situation. I have a 24V-80A version of this alternator that gets used with two group 31's & a 24V inverter for portable power. Trying to locate a used but good condition Honda 6.5hp horizontal shaft engine for the set up now. Thanks- Gus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Madsceintist View Post
    the one I use has been great
    So, what you use? More info,plz.

Quote Originally Posted by iger13 View Post
    So, what you use? More info,plz.

http://www.hhoforums.com/attachment....0&d=1328375276

From a welding supply shop. Its a oxy/acte. flashback arrestor.
    Hail HHO.