Thread: Why my plates have become black after 2-3 hours of operation ?

Why my plates have become black after 2-3 hours of operation ?

Hi,

Referring to this post: http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=7082

Since the production of HHO was inadequate, I decided to configure my reactor like this : -NNNNN+NNNNN- . By removing my plate, I found that they had become black

With the exception of one or two plates, the others are all black on the 2 sides

Here is pictures

However, I actually applied all instructions: cleaning, passivation, ....
    What could have caused this?

thanks in advance
    Remi

This is normal. Run them longer and you will see a bigger difference between the + and the - plates or sides. Did you insulate the spot oposite the input port? If you did not then you can improve the performance by doing that. It looks like you didn't, but pictures are sometimes decieving. The area is well marked now. No need to clean the plates off, let them dry and reassemble. Do not touch the surface with your fingers. If you insulate the spot opposite the input port, clean just the spot with acetone before applying weldon. Rinse the plates with distilled wate just before assembly but do not scrub them.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Quote Originally Posted by myoldyourgold View Post
    This is normal. Run them longer and you will see a bigger difference between the + and the - plates or sides. Did you insulate the spot oposite the input port? If you did not then you can improve the performance by doing that. It looks like you didn't, but pictures are sometimes decieving. The area is well marked now. No need to clean the plates off, let them dry and reassemble. Do not touch the surface with your fingers. If you insulate the spot opposite the input port, clean just the spot with acetone before applying weldon. Rinse the plates with distilled wate just before assembly but do not scrub them.
    Thank you, it reassures me :-)

No, I have not isolated the spot oposite the input port. Also, I have not isolated my holes (inpout/outpout) because the Weldon-16 did not stick :-(

Considering the active area of my plates, do you think I should stay to keep my initial setup to 15 plates, 6 neutral (-NNNNNN NNNNNN +-) or opt for a configuration with 13 plates, 5 neutral (-NNNNN + NNNNN-) ?

I remember that my plates are SS316, 20 Gauges

No, I have not isolated the spot oposite the input port. Also, I have not isolated my holes (inpout/outpout) because the Weldon-16 did not stick :-(

Considering the active area of my plates, do you think I should stay to keep my initial setup to 15 plates, 6 neutral (-NNNNNN NNNNNN +-) or opt for a configuration with 13 plates, 5 neutral (-NNNNN + NNNNN-) ?

I remember that my plates are SS316, 20 Gauges
    Weldon should stick. I have not had any problem on media blasted plates. I do not understand why yours did not. It will make a difference. I have done a number of old reactors where I just spot blasted the ports and insulated them and have had no problems. I have logged months of time on weldon and there has not been any trouble. I tape one side and cover the whole hole with weldon and then remove the tape after it is dry and do the other side. Others do the same. You then have to cut out the port with a rotery tool or drill and file leaving a little arond the edge. Even if it does not stick it is a gromet now and will not coume off, but have not had any problems with it not sticking. Make sure it is cleaned with acetone first just before you put it on.

Going to 5 neutrals with media blasted plates is a good thing in my book. You can now try it and confirm it.

You might want to go to a # 8 wire too.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Thank Mentor

Quebecker,
    What electrolyte do you use, and how much?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NaOH. 20%. Distilled water