Thread: Relay melted

Relay melted

I recently took a 400 mile trip hauling 6500 lbs of camper with my 5.3L truck.* Never thought to check out my dry cell during vacation.* Last night I checked it out for water level etc and noticed it wasn’t operating.* I have 2 fuses in the system,* 1 located between the on/off switch and relay (powered from windshieldwiper fuse), and the other inline between relay and battery.* The 30amp fuse located in the switch line fried.* I replaced it and the system still wasn’t working.* The 2nd 30amp fuse was ok, continued to check things out, disconnected the Relay and noticed that the inlet side was partially melted. **There is my problem.*
    The relay is located along the outside wall of the engine area tucked alongside the battery. Why would the relay melt?

PWM set at 15

what was the current capacity of the relay?

I bought a 50A relay from AutoZone.

If all else fails, I have seen relays run in parallel. I've never done it, and I don't think I'd recommend it..but it could be a bit of redundancy in the case you had of it melting.

Quote Originally Posted by DJLapri View Post
    -The relay is located along the outside wall of the engine area tucked alongside the battery. Why would the relay melt?
    Probably not a continuous duty rated relay, or perhaps defective.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]