Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plate Configuration issue

Plate Configuration issue

I have a 8 plate cell shown in the attached picture. I submerged it into purified water (a tad over a liter of water), and added .5 teaspoons of baking soda (I hear this isn't the best electrolyte, but I just wanted to make sure the plates were good). As soon as I completed the circuit with my car's battery, it seems like it shorted out. Sparks came out from the terminal which I connected to the battery, and the engine started to die down. Also, after I disconnected everything, the plates were room temp, but the bolts (also stainless steel) were hot. While I assume that means the cell was drawing a ton of Amps, I don't see why.
    What am I doing wrong?

Well, if you have s/s washers between each plate, you're causing a dead short across everything. If you're intent on building a wet-cell (not recommended), you need to use nylon washers instead. Do some research before you get hurt.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by lhazleton View Post
    Well, if you have s/s washers between each plate, you're causing a dead short across everything. If you're intent on building a wet-cell (not recommended), you need to use nylon washers instead. Do some research before you get hurt.
    Thanks, that's what I thought. I'm building a wet cell because it seems like a good starting point. (For a newbie to this whole thing)

If the SS washers are causing a short across everything, would the bolts do the same? Would I have to connect an individual + and - wire to each plate before routing them all into a battery?

Quote Originally Posted by Outmodeduser View Post
    Thanks, that's what I thought. I'm building a wet cell because it seems like a good starting point. (For a newbie to this whole thing)

If the SS washers are causing a short across everything, would the bolts do the same? Would I have to connect an individual + and - wire to each plate before routing them all into a battery?
    If you're just experimenting with wet cells for the time being, build it like this to see lots of bubbles...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by BioFarmer93 View Post
    If you're just experimenting with wet cells for the time being, build it like this to see lots of bubbles...
    Thanks a bunch. I love how stupid I feel now that its visualized. That being said, I have 8 plates. I've read on this forum that other people new to this like I am are using a -nnn+nnn- configuration. Is there an advantage to this?

Oh, as I edit this, I would like to point out that this whole hydrogen cell project I am working on is a research methods project on weather or not you can see a increase in fuel efficiency in a vehicle from using a hydrogen cell. Obviously I am just getting started, and there is more to it. Is there any scientific studies that have been published about this that describe the process? Any reliable scientific sources that I could cite in my study?

I'm with Lee on this one. If you're building a wet cell to see lots of bubbles produced, you can do the same with a bottle of 7-up and a mentos - with next to no danger involved. If you're really out for research to improve fuel economy you should skip to a dry cell. It's more efficient to begin with.

Everyone's gotta start somewhere though. Just be careful wherever you decide to start.

Gus>> Love the 'noobpic' diagram. Is this your newest project?????????????
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by lhazleton View Post
    Gus>> Love the 'noobpic' diagram. Is this your newest project?????????????
    NO.... Ya knucklehead, to see my newest project go here...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iioQ4kp8MNM

Actually, I think I did it for that Chris0147 character that you admire so much... You know, the one that got my hair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by nst6563 View Post
    I'm with Lee on this one. If you're building a wet cell to see lots of bubbles produced, you can do the same with a bottle of 7-up and a mentos - with next to no danger involved. If you're really out for research to improve fuel economy you should skip to a dry cell. It's more efficient to begin with.

Everyone's gotta start somewhere though. Just be careful wherever you decide to start.
    I just figured that bubbles = hydrogen. Lots of bubbles = lots of hydrogen. Lots of hydrogen = good. I'm trying to be as careful as I can, but once school starts up again and I can get some lab time in a safe (not a three seasons porch workshop) environment.
    How inefficient is a wet cell? Like "oh this is the worst thing ever" or "meh, this will do". I'm a bike mechanic, so when people say one crank is less efficient than the other, they are talking about weight, stiffness, and speed. But both do the job. Will a wet cell still be good enough for my research?