Thread: best plate prep?

best plate prep?

hi ...what's considered best... sanding the plates with a cross hatch, orbital sanding or grit blasting?

Definately media blasting - however finding a reputable place to get a quality job done without warping the plates would be your only problem to overcome. Where I used to live a small custom body shop did all 36 of my 4x6 plates for $50. I had to drop them off and pick them up later, but they did an excellent job and only warped 1 plate (was the test plate I gave them).

After you get the blasting done (or sanding, or whatever other plate prep you chose) be sure to clean the plates very good. As well as passivate them. There are plenty of threads here on how to accomplish both.

thanks for that.. much obliged.

No problem. I've tried smooth, sanded, cross-hatched, cross-hatched AND sanded, belt sanded, random orbital, self-media blasted and professional. I have to say that by far the professional is the way to go - that is unless you have the same equipment to do a professional job

When checking places, ask them if they'll do an example blast on a sample plate. If so, then they're willing to take the time and earn a customer. If not, put them at the last of the list. In my opinion, if they're willing to take a plate and do test blast on it, then they're more willing to listen to your requirements and accommodate to what you need.

The rougher the blast the better.
    Try to keep your plates away from other metals (for contamination purposes).

Quote Originally Posted by nst6563 View Post
    No problem. I've tried smooth, sanded, cross-hatched, cross-hatched AND sanded, belt sanded, random orbital, self-media blasted and professional. I have to say that by far the professional is the way to go - that is unless you have the same equipment to do a professional job

When checking places, ask them if they'll do an example blast on a sample plate. If so, then they're willing to take the time and earn a customer. If not, put them at the last of the list. In my opinion, if they're willing to take a plate and do test blast on it, then they're more willing to listen to your requirements and accommodate to what you need.

The rougher the blast the better.
    Try to keep your plates away from other metals (for contamination purposes).
    What media did they use for you?

If your plates are thick enough one guy here used nickle slag with good results. i think if you do it in 2 steps it might even be better nickle slag then glass bead. Then degreasing is important, don't handle with dirty hands after that. Then conditioning them.
    When you're one step ahead of the crowd you're a genius.
    When you're two steps ahead, you're a crackpot."

thanks guys.. i'm gonna strip my reactor down again in a minute as i just got my citric acid and i know a man with pro sandblasting kit so i'm gonna get him to blast them then i'm gonna clean them with the acid, rinse with distilled water and dry them in neat o2 then run them in weak (5%KOH) at 5 amps for 3 days... then drain rinse and fill with 28% KOH......sound about right?