Thread: re cooker...

re cooker...

no answers from you guys.. so i guess the answer was no... noone has built a cooker.
    maybe some of you with all the brains could answer me this...
    if a domestic cooker uses on average 10 lpm of natural gas at 1013mb how much hho would it take to liberate the same amount of energy? (ish)
    would the jet size need to be altered and if so ...smaller or larger?

i'm envisioning a small reservoir and a pressure switch to activate the generator as the pressure drops.
    i'm also guessing that the gas volume (HHO) would be considerably smaller than natural gas (CH4). if it's in the 4-5 lpm league then it looks do-able to me
    bearing in mind that for a fixed installation ie home based, solar and batteries are easy to organize these days.

anyhow, i hope someone answers this post. even of only to dampen my fireworks.... inteligently.

Quote Originally Posted by kimbo View Post
    no answers from you guys.. so i guess the answer was no... noone has built a cooker.
    maybe some of you with all the brains could answer me this...
    if a domestic cooker uses on average 10 lpm of natural gas at 1013mb how much hho would it take to liberate the same amount of energy? (ish)
    would the jet size need to be altered and if so ...smaller or larger?

i'm envisioning a small reservoir and a pressure switch to activate the generator as the pressure drops.
    i'm also guessing that the gas volume (HHO) would be considerably smaller than natural gas (CH4). if it's in the 4-5 lpm league then it looks do-able to me
    bearing in mind that for a fixed installation ie home based, solar and batteries are easy to organize these days.

anyhow, i hope someone answers this post. even of only to dampen my fireworks.... inteligently.
    Kimbo,
    I'll take a shot at this.. First off, I don't think anyone here has really given too much thought to cooking with HHO as we're mostly vehicle-centric. Secondly and most importantly, it truly is not a good idea to store HHO, even small amounts as it is about a zillion times more volatile than hydrogen. If you want a "free" gas to cook with, then find yourself a heavy glass or pyrex container that you can seal, a nylon barbed "T" fitting, a heavy "Punching ball" balloon, and some hose to fit the T. Dropping steel/iron scraps into sulfuric acid -OR- dropping aluminum scraps into a KOH solution both produce straight hydrogen. Much safer to cook with and you're not paying for electricity to run an electrolyzer to make HHO to cook with. Do a little Google research on this. Oh, forgot to say- the "T" goes into the stopper on the container with the hose to the burner on one leg of it and the balloon on the other to store/pressurize the gas.
    As I read again your post I see you are talking renewable energy, in that case you could build a splitter reactor and discard the oxygen and store the H2. A mylar bag could hold the H2 until your pump emptied it into your high pressure storage tank, since splitter reactors use fabric membranes to keep the gasses separate you want your initial storage to have zero back pressure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i understand that it's dangerous to store hho, but that's why i ask the question how many lpm would a hob require. if it's so bloody volatile you should'nt need much in storage to buffer the start up of your stove, and then we're into the realms of hho on demand and no need to store it at high pressure. turning on the stove reduces the pressure in the storage tank and causes the reactor to start up..... bob's yer uncle .. fanny's yer aunt..., working stove.

ps. bio farmer, why don't people build these reactors on the diagonal? just occurred to me that if the square plate setup was turned 45 degrees (diamond), the gas would be easier to harvest at the top of the diamond and the reactor couyld be much easier drained when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by kimbo View Post
    i understand that it's dangerous to store hho, but that's why i ask the question how many lpm would a hob require. if it's so bloody volatile you should'nt need much in storage to buffer the start up of your stove, and then we're into the realms of hho on demand and no need to store it at high pressure. turning on the stove reduces the pressure in the storage tank and causes the reactor to start up..... bob's yer uncle .. fanny's yer aunt..., working stove.

ps. bio farmer, why don't people build these reactors on the diagonal? just occurred to me that if the square plate setup was turned 45 degrees (diamond), the gas would be easier to harvest at the top of the diamond and the reactor couyld be much easier drained when needed.
    HHO flame speed is insanely, ridiculously fast. The fuel and oxidizer are pre-mixed in perfect ratio. A combination of proper pressure and orifice size must be established to avoid flash backs. Torches are touchy enough, I shudder to think about a multi orifice burner. Bob and Fanny don't need to be blown all to hell, now do they? Until you experience 2 cubic feet of HHO at 3 psi exploding, you can not truly have a deep and abiding appreciation for its power. Think dynamite. Forget HHO for this, solar hydrogen will serve just as well and be much, much safer. If you need splitter reactor plans we've got them for the asking.
    To your other question, people do build them that way when space is not a consideration, for exactly the reasons you pointed out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ok point taken.... i'll drop that idea... but how about a house boiler?.. single jet, totally controld and self contained box. i really want to USE some of that awsome power!!

Try this link for a Russian guy (SEVER-S) he has tried successfully!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41fAKyo3REY

I am also very interested in the domestic possibilities of this and believe I can do a fridge, cooker and (if lucky) a heating boiler. Sadly I am working with nothing, but interest is growing and I hope to be able to show something soon.