Thread: pre ignition, engine damage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    homersimpson30 Guest

pre ignition, engine damage

A coworker told me that hho might cause pre igniton cuz its so flamable, and cause engine damage? Possible??

donsimpson12 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by homersimpson30 View Post
    A coworker told me that hho might cause pre igniton cuz its so flamable, and cause engine damage? Possible??
    Timing should be a concern if your pumping a lot of HHO in... It does explode faster than fuel. That's why timing on engines are before TDC (Top Dead Center).... On a carburetored engine with a lot of HHO, it would be easy to retard the timing a bit.. On a computer car, you'll need to control the computer. Firing too soon will explode the HHO and then your piston is fighting the thrust of the HHO explosion which will surely effect the efficiency.

I've been dinking around with a prototype system, but I really think I need to set this thing up on an old school engine for optimal performance tweaks and ease..

wlf89 Guest
    could just do like i do put a switch inside the cab to turn it on or off and about a minute before you turn the engine off turn the hho off and let it all burn out of the engine then you will know for sure it aint going to hurt the engine when you start it

donsimpson12 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wlf89 View Post
    could just do like i do put a switch inside the cab to turn it on or off and about a minute before you turn the engine off turn the hho off and let it all burn out of the engine then you will know for sure it aint going to hurt the engine when you start it
    That only clears out the HHO and removes any moisture from the exhaust and engine... Imagine pre-detonation as spark knock.. you'll get it under load.. and it burns the top of the piston and valves..

;-)

homersimpson30 Guest

so can it happen?

so is this theory possible. can it some how ignite in the cylinder when its not suppose to?

EltonBrandd Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by homersimpson30 View Post
    so is this theory possible. can it some how ignite in the cylinder when its not suppose to?
    The gas will only ignite with a spark, especially as diluted as it is by the time it reaches the combustion chamber. And if it did knock most engines will retard the timing to rectify the knock. My car doesn't utilize knock sensors and I have never had a problem so far. If I use regular 87 octane fuel at sea level my car pings, I have to run 91 octane to prevent that. I'm going to switch back to 87 to see if the hho will help burn all the fuel at once to see if eliminates the pinging. As far as pre-detonation goes I would only be worried about that if I was running my timing way to advanced.

Quote Originally Posted by donsimpson12 View Post
    but I really think I need to set this thing up on an old school engine for optimal performance tweaks and ease..
    My thought exactly but only to learn 1st. The newer cars with all their sensors would require more electronics to tweak them. With a basic motor, you can test your build before you have to add MAF enhancers & 02 extenders etc.

This is my initial "test car" Basic & Simple!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac
    21 Plate 3" X 7" KOH Dry Cell