Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some expert advice with a Jeep 4.0

Need some expert advice with a Jeep 4.0

I've been experimenting with HHO units for about two years now with little success.

Vehicle 1992 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L I-6 automatic.

Anyone have time with this engine?

My DD service vehicle driven on the same route and roads 5 days a week.

Some background to help the help.
    Engine was checked and rechecked to be in the best running order possible.
    Recalibrated and/or replaced all sensors as required.
    Confirmed fuel system to be calibrated and remanufactured Bosch injectors installed.
    Replaced cat and muffler with Magnaflo performance replacements.
    Installed a narrow band AFR gauge on its own O2 sensor.
    Installed an EFIE and MAP adjuster.
    Factory PCM no changes to program.

Ran the vehicle for a year to ensure base mileage was repeatable and all systems maximized.
    15-17 MPG depending on ambient temperature and driving conditions.

Started with a home built wet cell that produced approx 1.5 l/min
    Nothing to report.
    Upgraded to a larger 2-3 l/min dry cell
    Nothing to report.
    Upgraded to a larger 5 l/min dry cell
    Cell pulling 20amps with 6TBLS/gal, output fed to air intake just in front of the throttle body.
    Finally started to see a change in AFR and adjusted the EFIE to keep indicated AFR to normal.

After 300 miles of driving I experienced ZERO change in economy and then blew up the 45amp PWM,
    There is a little SOTP power change but not to justify the 1000 bucks I have invested in this project.

I'm feeling the pain of Thomas Edison, just not sure I can finance another 3500 tries. This aint a light blub.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnGoatXJ View Post
    I've been experimenting with HHO units for about two now with little success.

Vehicle 1992 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L I-6 automatic.

Anyone have time with this engine?
    Two minutes? hours? days? weeks? months? years?
    Proof reading is a laborious, tedious, albeit necessary task-
    Anyway, I seem to recall that your particular vehicle is a bit of a challenge to see improvements on.. I'm sure someone else will chime in, or better yet you could do a search or two in the archives on "Jeep" or "Jeep 4.0" and variations there-of.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bio, didn't Jim have a jeep of some kind and was getting results?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Quote Originally Posted by myoldyourgold View Post
    Bio, didn't Jim have a jeep of some kind and was getting results?
    You know Carter, I believe he did, come to think of it... What ever happened to that boy anyway? He was a real up-and-comer, probably smarter than you and me and Lee put together...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

As indicated by other Jeep owners I had to setup the dry cell in the cargo compartment.
    There is just no room under the hood.

Unit container (Stanley 2 Compartment Tool Box)
    Oops, sideways..... covers loose

Front View

Top compartment
    Reservoir and power relays

Lower compartment
    Cell and PC cooling/exhaust fan

Power monitoring top cover

Final test on the bench

Quote Originally Posted by BioFarmer93 View Post
    Two minutes? hours? days? weeks? months? years?
    Proof reading is a laborious, tedious, albeit necessary task-
    Humor, I like.

I hope all can see that this is a well thought out and constructed project.
    My efforts may be better spent on a different engine. But the Cherokee and 4WD work well as my service vehicle and its paid for. Not too many 4WDs that are as reliable and have an abundance of cheap parts. Plus it doubles as a tow vehicle for our weekends camping in the hills above Yosemite.

My objective is to make this work or move to another vehicle.

Cheers!

My first HHO boosted vehicle wa 1988 Jeep Wrangler. It had a 4.0 6cyl and an automatic transmission. I had no luck with just HHO. Initially I got a good gain but it quickly went back to normal. I added an EFIE and MAP enhancer. I can't remember exact numbers but I got a nice gain that lasted over 1.5 years before I upgraded to my Nissan. I believe the gain was 20 to 25% in town. I was feeding it about 2LPM and running both enhancers. I also had to install it in the cargo area. Good Luck.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

Humor aside my friend, at 20 amps I can promise you that your production was no where near 5lpm of HHO.. At the limit of the 45 amp PMW you toasted, you still weren't making 5 lpm of HHO. You may have been making 1.5lpm of HHO and 3.5lpm of steam, but not straight HHO, no way, no how. Your build looks very nice and clean and professional, but the reactor itself has not been described in configuration or square inches of wet working area. Please tell us what the size of the working area of the plates are and what the electrical configuration is, like +nnn-nnn+nnn- or -nnnn+nnnn-. For a 4 liter engine you need at least 2 lpm of real HHO, and I have a suspicion that you have never actually had 2 lpm of clean dry HHO..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

6" 25 plate ||-NNN+NNN-NNN+NNN-NNN+NNN-|| 1070 Sq Inches

fleabay item # 330524382127

My first attempt to keep everything under the hood