Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry Cell Mounting Location?

Dry Cell Mounting Location?

I received my first dry cell from Ebay and am wondering if I can mount it between my radiator and front bumper. There is a clear view of the ground here.

The plate edges are exposed on all 4 sides so I'm concerned that if rain water or puddle water spashes onto the outside plates would it short out the cell? I can read voltage levels on all the edges and the wiring connections are on top.(see pic)

I haven't gotten a reply back from the seller on Ebay.

I was thinking I'd have to wrap it in plastic, but don't want to keep the heat in it...

Thanks for any suggestions!
    2000 Toyota Camry CE 4cyl 2.2L (CA emissions)
    168K miles

If you think this could be a problem, you could cut a piece of EPDM to the right size and glue the ends together making a rubber band and put that over the reactor giving you some added protection. There is special supper glue for EPDM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Quote Originally Posted by myoldyourgold View Post
    If you think this could be a problem, you could cut a piece of EPDM to the right size and glue the ends together making a rubber band and put that over the reactor giving you some added protection. There is special supper glue for EPDM.
    Do you think I could glue it to the outer edges leaving a small opening at the top for the wiring?

Would semi-sealing the cell cause it to heat up?

Thanks myoldourgold.
    168K miles

I ran my reactor in front of my radiator on my Mercedes 300SD in rain and snow and never had any problem with a blown fuse or shorting of any kind. I was never careful even while washing the car. Maybe we can hear form others if they have had any problems. You could always just build a metal shield on the bracket to deflect anything coming from down below. Most cars have some kind of shield/air dam down there. You do want air to circulate around at least in the summer so would not seal it up to much.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

I've never worried about keeping my reactor dry.
    Plain water isn't really all that conductive compared to the electrolyte.

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.G View Post
    I've never worried about keeping my reactor dry.
    Plain water isn't really all that conductive compared to the electrolyte.
    I received a response from the cell maker and he said it's not a problem since there's hardly any voltage between the plates.

I measured about 10.63v between each pos/neg connection and various voltages between the neutral plates. (6~8)

Would it be a problem if I combine all 3 positive wires together on the cell and have one connection to my PWM? (Ditto for the negative/ground wires.)
    IE: Like jumpers across the cell.
    168K miles

How many plates does your reactor have totally.

How many plates does your reactor have totally.
    26 plates total
    168K miles

What power source our you using. In a vehicle you should be measuring 13.8 or higher voltage between the positive and negative. If you are using just a battery or battery charger out of the car then that is different.

Your reactor is 26 plate 4 stack reactor. This means in a car it will be running at 2.3 volts per pair at 13.8 volts. Now at 10.63 volts each pair will measure 1.77 volts. This will make a big difference in production and heat. Is the 10.63 measured in the vehicle or out of the vehicle on the work bench?

What power source our you using. In a vehicle you should be measuring 13.8 or higher voltage between the positive and negative. If you are using just a batery or batery charger out of the car then that is different.

Your reactor is 26 plate 4 stack reactor. This means in a car it will be running at 2.76 volts per pair at 13.8 volts. Now at 10.63 volts each pair will measure 2.126 volts. This will make a big difference in production and heat. Is the 10.63 measured in the vehicle or out of the vehicle on the work bench?
    I'm just using a 6amp 12v battery charger in my garage for testing purposes before I go full throttle.
    168K miles