Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stopping Your Reactor at Idle

Stopping Your Reactor at Idle

There are two basic advantages of doing this.

1. It helps preventing OBD controlled fuel injection vehicles stay on the lean side of their maps especially the long term adaptive learning portion.

2. It helps increase mileage by not using any HP at idle similar to some AC systems that come on and off at idle.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

could a disadvantage be that the most load is demanded when pulling away from idle ie accelerating, and the advantages of stopping the reactor are lost because when the engine demands most fuel the reactor is only just switching back on line?

Hi Carter,

I would like to know where is the level switch in the circuit diagram of an installation ?

Specifically, is the switch only stops the reactor or is stops the reactor, the EFIE and CCPWM ? If the level switch stops the EFIE, it therefore means that it takes (EFIE) 1 minute before working again when power returns ?

Thanks

A small disadvantage to be sure, but probably able to be mitigated by anticipating the light change and flipping the switch a second or two before getting on the throttle. Another way, would be to use a micro switch on a gas pedal cover, that would engage a split second before foot pressure descended on the pedal proper. The output from the microswitch would lead to a relay that controls the primary off/on electrical supply for the reactor or, for high amp draw systems to a secondary 200A continuous duty rated relay that had its activation ground leg controlled by the master on/off toggle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

dammmmn..... you'r goood bio!

Quebecker has asked:

Hi Carter,

I would like to know where is the level switch in the circuit diagram of an installation ?

Specifically, is the switch only stops the reactor or is stops the reactor, the EFIE and CCPWM ? If the level switch stops the EFIE, it therefore means that it takes (EFIE) 1 minute before working again when power returns ?

Thanks
    I initially started doing this in my testing to avoid using an EFIE or a CCPWM to try and meet the letter of the law for California but after realizing that making any change to the fuel system (adding HHO) needed to be approved, much less the adjustments to the smog system that was necessary, even though it improves things, has derailed these tests. These tests would take pages to explain and is not practical for the average person and does not avoid the CARB approval. I did learn a lot though, which has helped in the normal installation of HHO systems, this being one of them.

That is one of the reasons I am not that well versed with EFIE's or CCPWM and still would like to avoid any electronics if possible. (Not possible as a rule especially in winter) I have used both to test with in other States other than California. Some EFIE's have a start up delay before starting because of the starting rich condition function like an old choke. Because of this you should not wire the EFIE in the idle cut out circuit and leave it on all the time with the ignition. This might require a different setting than you currently have. I have only tested it where I set the EFIE with the switch already installed.

I see no problem in having the CCPWM in the circuit so it cuts off at idle.

So far on the vehicles this has been tested on it has been very helpful. More vehicles need to be tested to find out if there are some systems where there might be problems and what they are. This will require a lot of time but if all who use this contribute their results, it will go much faster.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

could a disadvantage be that the most load is demanded when pulling away from idle ie accelerating, and the advantages of stopping the reactor are lost because when the engine demands most fuel the reactor is only just switching back on line?
    Remember the reactor keeps producing a little HHO after shutting down so has little to no effect when just taking your foot of the accelerator and putting it back on. If you are idling for a long time this might be what I consider a small problem but if you are interested in getting very good mileage then this is less than a bump in the road. Since I am using either an Apexi or an AEM FIC where possible the settings are set to compensate for the lag so you do not feel this problem at all. Where I am not using these are in vehicles where the driver is not interested in acceleration at all but wants the mileage when doing in town stop and go driving. I have only two vehicles testing at the moment that have no electronics and just the idle cut out switch. (ICOS) Just to make it clear I do not sell anything at the moment and everything that is being tested is owned by me even though it is on other peoples vehicles. Time will tell how effective it is.

I do appreciate any suggestions. The real crunch is if the savings at idle is more than the possible lose during the lag while accelerating. I think if you have a heavy foot you will be eating up a lot of your savings anyway but good data will show exactly what is really happening.

I was not going to post this at first but have decided to. I am working on solving one of the biggest reasons for the lag time which is mainly related to the reactor reverting to a flooded state and having to clear the lines. I am testing some of my ideas right now and will post them over the next few weeks as they mature. I do have a working prototype but am not satisfied yet. You guys can be thinking about this too. If you look at an open bath reactor you will see that production starts almost instantly and is faster with duel connected plates which is another good reason to go to duel connections. So knowing this the problem is not electrical.

This is more involved than you might think at first because it wants to use more amps to clear the lines because the pressure has dropped the level of the electrolyte in the reactor by pushing out some electrolyte out of the input port before it overcomes gravity just like it does every time it starts up after sitting for a while. I have found so far that the savings are more than the loss in the initial on road tests. I just feel it could be much better.

Hi Carter,

2 potential solutions

Solution One

Why not use the brakes to stop the reactor. Just connect the brake light on a relay "normally open" and put a capacitor between the brake light and the relay. The capacitor will give a delay of about 5-6 seconds and avoid unnecessary stops when short braking.

Exemple:

brake, 5-4-3-2-1 -> the reactor stop

Solution two

Use RPM TACHOMETER with ajustable SHIFT LIGHT and a relay "normaly close" at the voltage of the RPM shift light . Set the shift light to the desired RPM. Use the shift light to open the relay and start the reactor.

Ref: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...87949090190346

What do you think?

Hi Carter,

2 potential solutions

Solution One

Why not use the brakes to stop the reactor. Just connect the brake light on a relay "normally open" and put a capacitor between the brake light and the relay. The capacitor will give a delay of about 5-6 seconds and avoid unnecessary stops when short braking.

Exemple:

brake, 5-4-3-2-1 -> the reactor stop

Solution two

Use RPM TACHOMETER with ajustable SHIFT LIGHT and a relay "normaly close" at the voltage of the RPM shift light . Set the shift light to the desired RPM. Use the shift light to open the relay and start the reactor.

Ref: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...87949090190346

What do you think?
    I like number two if we can put all of that in a little box and plug it in and make it cheap. This is similar to a rpm controlled ccpwm or what ever you want to call it. (TRPWM)