Thread: PWM v2.1 design by Zero Fossil Fuel

PWM v2.1 design by Zero Fossil Fuel

Has anyone built the PWM v2.1 by Zero Fossil Fuel? If so what was your experience with it? I have started to go over his design and I will be working on it over the next week or so to get it going. I have just joined this forum also so just asking if anyone has built out his design and any problems you may have experienced with it? Also looking for anyone in south fla that is into hho development.

Duel MOSFET Wiring Question

Gotcha... This is my first build of a PWM and I am a newbie to electronics. I definately see the advantage of PCB's at this point. I am not sure how to hook up the dual fet, but I will google it to see what I can find. If you have any info on that you can share I would be greatful. I will go the duel fet approach, I just have to do a bit of research to figure it out. The HHO cell I built works quite well. I have disassymbled it until I get this PWM going. One thing I want to change about the cell design is that I want to alter it a bit to split the hydrogen and oxygen into separate streams. Anyway, one thing at a time, the PWM is quite a little project.

PWM design

Here is my email: tim.collins1970@gmail.com. Thanks for any help...

A Fet Question...

Shane, Thanks for the Photos!!
    They helped tremendously.
    Funny thing is the electronics store I use is closed until Sept 6. I want to try the dual fets you have shown. I did try to use a single fet just to see how things were working with what I had done so far. Unfortunately it was not looking good. Then I got testy and started looking at the fet I had. I noticed that it appears to be constantly on. No matter if I put a charge on the gate or not, there is always full current flowing freely from the drain to the source pin. I suspect that somewhere in my trial and error I may have either shorted the fet, or more than likely it was probably a dud to begin with. I would think that if I isolate the fet and attach the drain to the battery then the source to a light bulb that i could switch the light on and off by charging and discharging the gate (like a switch). Does that sound reasonable? Since what I have is constantly staying on no matter whether I charge or cut the gate I suspect the fet is bad...

Until my electonics store opens again I am looking into a different cell design. What I have now works fine for HHO. We have had some real fun with it just as a toy (keeping it safe of course). What I want to do with the cell is to isolate the Hydrogen and Oxygen into separate streams. Right now I just have HHO which is cool, but I think if we could separate the streams that would open up more uses and you could always recombine the gas if needed.

This PWM thing has been quite a project I have learned more about electronics that I ever did in college.

Photos Request and Question...

Shane,

Could you send me the photos of the design you had again? I hate to ask, but I seem to have deleted your email by mistake. I just got new MOSFET's and I have tested that they work well. I was also able to get the preferred IRFP064N this time. I would like to try and complete the PWM this week. I am learning a lot about electronics as I go along with this project. One question I have is regarding the Quad Op-Amp LM324N. Did you keep this part in the design you have or did you substitute it for something like an
    LM311?

Thanks
    Tim

lm311

hello Tim
    LM311 is single comparator, LM324 is quad OP-AMP. LM339 is quad comparator. but anyway this circuit is designed for use of op-amps.

Testing Gate Fluctualtion

Ok… I have taken this PWM on as a project to self build. This is my first ‘real’ electronics build so go easy… What I have built so far is basically two halves of the PWM. First half, is all of the parts mounted onto the circuit board. Second half, is all of the components not mounted on the ICB. The second half appears to work very well. I did change the configuration just slightly by adding a second MOSFET as recommended by one of the members in the forum. So I have a dual MOSFET setup. I am using a simple light bulb as my test load just to test this half of the circuit. It works as I would expect it to. When I charge the gate of the MOSFET (charging either one of the two MOSFETs works) the light turns on, when I ground the gate of the MOSFET the light goes off. Voltages look good. All seems good with this half of the setup.

The problem I am seeing is when I wire the circuit board (first half) to the second half, my light bulb stays on. It seems that my ‘gate’ connection from the circuit board is ALWAYS charged. Maybe that is ok? However when I turn any or all of the POTs I don’t see the bulb dimming which I thought would be the case?

My question is this… Is there a way to test that the POTs are really having any effect or maybe they are not working? For example (I have not tried this yet), if I use a voltmeter should I see a fluctuation in the circuit board ‘gate connection’ output?

best way to see changing parameters on pwm is with oscilloscope