I am guessing that the steps are to media blast first, then passivate. Correct? Also, I am guessing the media blast is used to increase surface area. I dont have a media blaster. Would a good sand paper scrubbing achieve similar results, or is that a bad idea? So far, I have not done anything to the plates, they are smooth as glass...
Tim, most do not have a sand blaster but find a powder coater and they usually do a good job of blasting. Make sure they understand if not done right the plates will get warped and ruined!!! Sanding with 8o girt sand paper in a cross hatch pattern is better than smooth. I think there is much more to media blasting than just increasing surface area and smaller bubbles releasing easier, just have not been able to explain it yet with good science. Your steps are correct because when you blast or sand you are removing some if not all of the existing passivation and if left alone it will not be even as it naturally passivates, making for an uneven performing plate. Using a controlled stripping of all the existing passivation and impurities and then controlling the process gives you a plate that is evenly passivated across the whole plate.