Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Build with stuff around the house

Build with stuff around the house

Hey guys, new here, just been trying to learn all i can. Really want to dip into this, espcially since i havent started work (dont know when, whenever they call me) and not much of a budget if any lol.

ANyways i got tons of stuff around the house that I think i can make into a decent unit.. wires and bolts not really a big deal.

Right now I am leaning towards going with a dry cell.. Give me suggestions on design etc..

Got a big sheet of stainless steel

Roofing sheet that im thinking would be ok insulator

I could have sworn ive seen some acyrlic sheet somewhere.

and then there is some steel rod, at least thats what i think it is, doesnt feel light like aluminum

that i could probably do a typical spiral wet setup in a jar.

What do you guys think? If I go with dry cell , and suggestions on how many plates and measurements i should cut?

This will be for a car btw, im trying to get a 4 cylinder toyota 4x4 or use in my blazer.

I've been busy with work, but I was not gone that long to the point that someone want to spend their time to build a "wet cell". May I recommend using the "search" function in the forum to find the design you are asking for. I've share this many times, there's a ton of data in this forum. If someone like yourself take the time to search for it, it's enough to build an efficient dry cell to market and out perform those being sold on Ebay or any other vendor out there.

One place you might want to start, click every mentors in the forum and read their reply to the same question you are asking. I guaranty you, you will find asnwers to questions you have not even thought of about build a cell. Even how to wire them up. PLEASE CLEAR your head from the wet cell design, you might want to go back to work. If you play with them you probably will not because one exploded and hurt you.

-Couldn't have said it better...

Read read read hypertek, then you'd have known that you can't use mild steel or aluminum inside a cell.
    No slam and no insult intended- just some of the basics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I plan to try for a drycell,

I got a plastic cutting board that I will be using. cut it in half, I am looking at 9 3/4 x 6 3/8 , than maybe for the plates go 8x5. I can easily get 18 plates out of the metal but I doubt I will need that much. Still doing homework on that portion. Maybe 11 plates in +NNNN-NNNN+

Quote Originally Posted by hypertek View Post
    I plan to try for a drycell,

I got a plastic cutting board that I will be using. cut it in half, I am looking at 9 3/4 x 6 3/8 , than maybe for the plates go 8x5. I can easily get 18 plates out of the metal but I doubt I will need that much. Still doing homework on that portion. Maybe 11 plates in +NNNN-NNNN+
    11 plates is good compromis in -NNNN+NNNN-, because you need more hydrogen with negative plates not oxygen.

thanks for the advice. I got to figure out hole placement and where to put them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarko View Post
    11 plates is good compromis in -NNNN+NNNN-, because you need more hydrogen with negative plates not oxygen.
    OK guys, two things here.. First, 4 bipolar (N) plates is not enough, that will put your voltage per cell (VpC) at 2.76V. This wastes electrical production (alternator drag & heat in cell), electrolyte (steam), & time (yours). It also gives false production numbers. Use 6 bipolar (N) plates, this puts your VpC @ 1.97V which is pretty much optimal.
    Second thing, You won't make more hydrogen by having the negatives on the ends. you still end up with one negative face for each positive face... Go ahead, count 'em. Besides, from an electrochemical standpoint in straight up brute force electrolysis, you can't make more hydrogen than is available. That ratio is dictated by the molecular makeup of water, remember? H2O1.
    Both of you please take some time and go back in our archives here, say, 80 or 90 pages at least, and just start reading. Pretty soon you will be able to distinguish the wheat from the chaff, and save yourselves much money, time & trouble..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

alright I will try that, thanks. Sorry I wanted this to be more of my "build" thread rather than general questions.

That steel I have had a label, turns out it is a armor panel http://www.rev-a-shelf-hardware.com/...hp?p_ref=21433
    US32D

Pretty pricey piece i had laying around the house (pretty cool that I found it somewhere ), i already had cut out a block off plate that I had used for a car so might as well cut it up for this .

Not to worry man, we'll let you start a new thread.... We have lots of 'em!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]