Thread: Slimed!

Slimed!

Hi Folks,

New here, first post. I will be posting a complete 'field report' of my install soon but right now I need to overcome a recurring problem - SLIME!

I am using a 28% solution of KOH (1.5 lbs pure flakes in 1/2 gal distilled water). Solution starts out clear but after a few days the bubbler tank turns grayish with scummy floating black globs. Looking at the standard 9 plate 316L dry cell, it appears to have black filaments in it like algae. I have drained and flushed with distilled twice but this keeps coming back. Before I waste more solution I was hoping someone has had this problem and has a solution? Thanks for any input. Want to get this working right because so far, MPG has not changed at all. Will explain in another post, just looking to fix the crapped out electrolyte solution first.

I am using a 28% solution of KOH (1.5 lbs pure flakes in 1/2 gal distilled water). Solution starts out clear but after a few days the bubbler tank turns grayish with scummy floating black globs. Looking at the standard 9 plate 316L dry cell, it appears to have black filaments in it like algae. I have drained and flushed with distilled twice but this keeps coming back. Before I waste more solution I was hoping someone has had this problem and has a solution? Thanks for any input. Want to get this working right because so far, MPG has not changed at all. Will explain in another post, just looking to fix the crapped out electrolyte solution first.
    Most scummy crapola comes from contamination on the plates at assembly or from distilled water that has been sitting in plastic containers for a long time. It should get better over time unless it is in the water. Never let the distilled water get hot in the plastic container that just acerbates the problem.

You can filter your electrolyte through coffee filters and reuse it a number of times. I have been using some for more than 2 years. You might have to run it through a few times. Be patient unless you have a setup the slowly runs the electrolyte into the filter. Stainless steal coffee filters work great. Walmart sells them for about $10 if I remember right and might have gone up because it has been 2 or 3 years ago I bought mine. Make sure you wash the filter out with some kind of brush after each use to keep it from getting plugged up. Always dispose of the used electrolyte properly.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Quote Originally Posted by skyking View Post

Solution starts out clear but after a few days the bubbler tank turns grayish with scummy floating black globs. Looking at the standard 9 plate 316L dry cell, it appears to have black filaments in it like algae.
    You say it's a 9 plate reactor. How is it set up? -NNNNNNN+ or -NNN+NNN- ?
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by myoldyourgold View Post
    Most scummy crapola comes from contamination on the plates at assembly or from distilled water that has been sitting in plastic containers for a long time. It should get better over time unless it is in the water. Never let the distilled water get hot in the plastic container that just acerbates the problem.

You can filter your electrolyte through coffee filters and reuse it a number of times. I have been using some for more than 2 years. You might have to run it through a few times. Be patient unless you have a setup the slowly runs the electrolyte into the filter. Stainless steal coffee filters work great. Walmart sells them for about $10 if I remember right and might have gone up because it has been 2 or 3 years ago I bought mine. Make sure you wash the filter out with some kind of brush after each use to keep it from getting plugged up. Always dispose of the used electrolyte properly.

If you have your reactor setup like this -NNN+NNN- and you are running a 1/2 gallon of 28% then I am sure your dry cell is running VERY hot and probably melting the gaskets which is what you see as blobs of black in the water.

Keith,
    That's what I was thinking. Or, if it's getting 3.45 volts per cell (-NNN+NNN-), it's gonna cook everything, especially if the gaskets are really thin.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

If you have your reactor setup like this -NNN+NNN- and you are running a 1/2 gallon of 28% then I am sure your dry cell is running VERY hot and probably melting the gaskets which is what you see as blobs of black in the water.
    This is true but there has not been any confirmation that he is running this configuration. I run some 9 plate equivalent reactors in the winter months with full strength and no electronics. 1.72 V per cell reactors so a nine plate reactor is not impossible and there is no mention of heat. If it is over heating then the plates will just be eaten up in no time at all and result in black junk coming out by the bucket full. Reactors running 8 cells require close spacing regardless of size and production will be less than a 6 or 7 cell configuration. In -20 F you do what you have to. Slime is usually contamination. Black that is magnetic is plate deterioration. To make a accurate call on this we need more details.

I wish people would not mix the reservoir with a bubbler. Anyone who thinks that the reservoir is doing the job of a bubbler is in serious trouble and only doing damage to his engine. Please get it straight.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .